Making the future is everyday life at Samsung. We’re seeking innovators who are called to not just change the world, but build a better one. We enable the best technology hardware on the planet, but our best is always a prototype for something better and our people thrive with a driven mindset – better builds on better. We believe that innovation and growth are driven by an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce. We aim to create a global team where everyone belongs and has equal opportunities, inspiring our talent to be their true selves. Together, we are building a better tomorrow for our customers, partners and communities.
In today’s fast evolving technology world, one aspect remains common – reliance on data to drive the next wave of innovation. The Machine Learning & AI team is Samsung’s Center-of-Excellence for driving the adoption of data driven decision making and product development across the company. The team’s core focus is developing best-in-class solutions that provide Samsung’s marketing and service organizations with a 360 degree view of the Samsung customers.
Data Scientists are responsible for managing the successful design, execution, and measurement of major data initiatives across all customer-facing channels. They provide a critical link between the most technical areas of the organization and our business partners who activate against Strategic Analytics’ deliverables. Balancing excellent business communication skills with a deep analytical understanding is needed to 1) successfully build never-been-done-before analytic solutions in a Big Data environment and 2) interface daily with business partners, engineering, and product management teams.
Role and Responsibilities
Role and Responsibilities:
- BS Degree with 6+ years’ experience developing analytic results that directly inform and/or enable quantifiable business action, either by providing insights or building analytic applications
- MS or PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or Economics required; incremental MBA preferred
- Experience solving analytic problems using quantitative approaches and a proven passion for generating actionable insights and predictions from data. Have marketing or service industry experience manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources. Strong knowledge of statistical methods and particularly in the areas of predictive modeling/scoring.
- 2+ years Statistical programming expertise: R required; Python & Spark preferred
- Big data mining experience: Hive & Impala required; SQL preferred
- Machine learning principles: GLM Regression (linear, logit, multinomial), kMeans/Hierarchical Clustering, Principle Component Analysis, & Decision Tree required; Neural Network, Panel Regression, Bayesian Regression, Times Series, & A Priori preferred
- Data scale principles: Regular use of data with high-volume (1TB+) & high-dimensionality (500+ variables per schema) required; clear understanding of Hadoop framework with hands-on experience both querying and applying statistics on massive data sets
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
Skills and Qualifications
Physical/Mental Demands and Working Conditions: The position requires the ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities in the following environment:
- Work is generally performed in an office environment.
- Operate a computer keyboard and view a video display terminal 50% of work time, including prolonged periods of time.
- The movement and transportation of equipment, most of the time under 25 pounds.
- Performs work under time schedules and stresses which are normally periodic or cyclical, including time sensitive job stress, fatigue, unpaid over-time, intellectual challenge, constant technical data feedback, language barriers, and business management stress.
- Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids representative and commonly associated with PCs, printers, and office work areas.
- Frequently works additional hours beyond normal schedule.
- Under very little direct supervision with a high level of responsibility to apply general policies and guidelines where decisions are seldom monitored and consequences of decisions adversely affect operating results and management decisions. Complete access to confidential company data where disclosure may jeopardize the company’s competitive position.
- Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.