Samsung Austin Semiconductor is one of the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing facilities in the world and an integral part of Central Texas for more than 26 years, driving job generation, economic impact and engagement with the surrounding community.
Samsung Austin Semiconductor serves a global customer base with broad semiconductor process technology offerings that impact everyday life including mobile, graphic, consumer, networking/high performance computing, Internet of Things, RF and automotive. Through successful collaborations with foundry customers and a continuous drive to develop the most cutting-edge technologies, Samsung Austin Semiconductor has become a major player in the foundry market. Samsung Austin Semiconductor’s technology portfolio ranges from 65nm to 28nm using planar transistor technology to the more advanced 14nm 3D FinFet technology.
With more than 3,300 employees, 2.45 million square feet of floor space, and more than 600+ acres in land holdings, Samsung Austin Semiconductor’s economic impact in 2021 generated $6.3 billion into Austin’s economy through salaries and other expenditures. Plus, that same year, its parent company, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd announced a $17 billion investment to boost semiconductor production capacity at a new site in Taylor, Texas. This is in addition to the $18 billion invested in Samsung Austin Semiconductor’s Austin, Texas campus, since 1996 - making it one of the largest direct foreign investments in United States history.
Samsung Austin Semiconductor is a premier and growing employer who provides a great place to work, is committed to environmental stewardship and being a good corporate citizen. Our employees are the key to our success and we invest in our people with competitive compensation & benefit packages, career development opportunities and programs that enhance physical, emotional and intellectual well-being. Our employees work at various locations throughout Central Texas including the main plant on East Parmer Lane in northeast Austin, a satellite office near Pflugerville and the construction site in Taylor, Texas. Learn more at www.samsung.com/us/sas.
Role and Responsibilities
As a data engineer / developer advocate on the Data Solutions team, you will be a catalyst for change, teaching others new technologies while raising the data/machine learning literacy across the organization.
The mission of the Data Solutions team is to provide a world class data platform, which is used by thousands of engineers to discover insights and drive improvement on key factory outcomes such as yield, output, and cost reduction.
Our team plays a role in every aspect of the data lifecycle (virtualization, discoverability, storage, and governance) as well as providing a powerful computational environment for end users using primarily open source technologies. Furthermore, we teach the organization via Samsung’s Data University program, as well as demonstrating value-driving examples to senior management through an annual Big Data Competition.
The ideal candidate is passionate about connecting with developers, trying new frameworks and technologies, and sharing what you have learned with the rest of the organization.
- Establish strong relationships with developers in the organization.
- Craft scalable educational resources for others (confluence, demos, how-to guides, etc.).
- Engage with engineers across the organization to understand their perspectives and use cases.
- Use your passion and creativity to inspire the organization to learn data engineering, data science, and machine learning technologies.
- Act as the Program Manager for Samsung’s Data University Program and Big Data Competition.
- Build and curate additional data pipelines leveraging the appropriate technologies.
- Work days and hours: 1st -Shift, Mon - Fri, 8am-5pm.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Data Science).
- At least 3 years of data engineering / data science experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in developer education and technical writing.
- Strong programming/scripting skills SQL, Python, R, Spark, Bash, and API patterns.
- Exceptional communicator, experience writing, teaching, and speaking about technical topics.
- Knowledge of Apache Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Impala, Dremio.
- Familiarity with distributed file systems (HDFS, S3).
- Working knowledge of data visualization applications (Tableau, Spotfire).
- Understanding of Virtualization (VMWare and Kubernetes).
- Agile/Scrum development experience.
- Experience in software development toolkits (Jira, Confluence and Git).
- Familiar with semiconductor data.
Why You’ll Enjoy Working Here:
- Play a role in the semiconductor manufacturing industry, which is essential for the world’s innovation and technology!
- Interaction with leading-edge tech manufacturing that produces TBs of data daily.
- Collaboration with a small, highly motivated team to develop and implement new ideas.
- Bonus incentive programs.
- Great Benefits (employer matched 401k, medical, dental, extensive PTO).
- Amenities (soccer field, 2 gyms, full court basketball / tennis courts, walking trails).
- Subsidized lunches.
- Flexible/Remote work schedule.
- Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.