The Health Service Delivery Research department is seeking an enthusiastic and highly qualified applicant for the full-time position of Data Scientist to fill a new position. The coordinator will work on the projects related to substance use and harm reduction, under the supervision of principal investigator Ahmed Bayoumi, and will use both simulation modeling, economic analysis, and analysis of administrative data. The position is located within MAP, a world-leading centre that focuses on complex urban-health issues. The position is for 1 year.
The successful applicant will be responsible for advanced quantitative analyses, including statistical analysis of epidemiological data, adapting (form Matlab to R) and developing a dynamic compartmental epidemiological model of opioid use, and using the model for economic evaluation. The goal of the projects is to generate evidence that advances health policies which improve the health of people who use drugs. Proficiency with statistical software, exceptional organizational skills, and the ability to learn new methods quick are required in this position. Advanced knowledge of the R statistical programming language is required; preference will be given to applicants who are also proficient in Matlab, Python or Stata.
The quantitative aspects are an integral component of a multi-method study. The project team will work closely with communities of people who use opioids as well as with health care providers and policy-level decision makers. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated interests in health equity and will excellent ability to work with diverse communities. The candidate must be able to meet short deadlines and have strong written communication skills.
The coordinator will be responsible for analysis of quantitative data, liaising with other analysts and developing data analysis plans, and assisting with other aspects of the study.
Duties & Responsiblities
- Lead mathematical modeling (dynamic compartmental models), including model building and debugging
- Calibrate and validate simulation models to local contexts
- Develop and prepare data analysis plans
- Preparation of additional documentation for research plans, including privacy assessments
- Apply statistical analysis to answer project objectives using survival analysis, generalized liner modeling for longitudinal data, interrupted time series analysis using segmented regression, and other methods
- Clearly document all model details, code and iterations using appropriate commenting and version control
- Maintain physical and logical storage of scripts, records and master archive lists
- Work closely with colleagues and research partners to establish coding techniques, structure of dataset for studies and develop sound analytical plans
- Work with other team members to understand which analytical approach would be best suited to answer the project objectives
- Integrate with the other team members to develop multi-disciplinary analytic approaches, and assist in best practices and process development
- Ensure adequate quality control by setting standards, monitor results and institute appropriate steps for data cleaning, consistency checks and other data quality control measures prior to analysis.
- Prepare raw data for analysis. This includes cleaning and merging data from multiple sources, as well as understanding overall data quality
- Design and develop dashboard and reports with interactive visualizations
- Preparation of research ethics submissions relative to the initiation and conduct of individual studies, including consent forms written at an appropriate literacy level
- Perform literature reviews and abstract relevant data
- Manuscript preparation, including drafting of methods sections, generation of presentation-quality graphics, managing references, and coordination of submissions.
- Preparation of presentations and posters related to the study
- Guidance for summer and graduate students as needed
- Other assigned duties, as required
- Master’s or Doctoral Degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Quantitative Epidemiology, a related discipline or demonstrable equivalent combination of specialized education and experience
- Proficient in programming in R
- Experience in simulation modeling
- Experience in economic evaluation is an asset
- Strong interest in health equity and marginalization
- Minimum 2 years research experience analyzing quantitative data is required
- An aptitude for accuracy, detail and problem-solving
- Experience working with people experiencing marginalization
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, as well as independently with a strong inter-personal skills and a high level of self-direction
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills, including the ability to set priorities, monitor progress towards goals, and achieve results within clearly specified timelines;
- Strong written communication skills
- Proven ability to learn new skills and software quickly
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR Code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.