At Retina, our team (former Facebook, PayPal, and Stanford alums) has built a product that can predict individual customer lifetime value at the earliest point of customer contact and changed how brands view their relationships with their customer. We use data science to predict future buying behavior of consumers and recommend actions that businesses can take around those predictions.
Our APIs connect directly to a company's data warehouse and start to make recommendations on how they should move marketing, customer service and retention dollars towards the more profitable customers. In customer acquisition alone, Retina has the opportunity to optimize a $389 billion industry spend.
We recently raised our series A funding and work with brands like Dollar Shave Club, Nestlé, Madison Reed, and Capital One. We have more than 10x our revenue in the last year and we're looking for the brightest minds who believe in data driven decision making at scale to join our growing team!
Retina is actively seeking a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and solution-focused Data Scientist who will report to the VP of Data Science. The team is responsible for using state-of-the-art data mining and machine learning techniques to solve our business problems, innovate, and push the boundaries of Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) prediction.
As a Data Scientist, you will be working closely with our internal data science, product, engineering, and customer success teams to build scalable data products.. You will be creating algorithms that analyze customer data to compute Customer LIfetime Value using Parametric (Bayesian MCMC) and Machine Learning techniques.
The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience working with large data sets, will have expertise in end-to-end data analytics processes from ETL to executive level presentations, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You are focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to drive the understanding, growth, and success of a product. You are also excited about startups and doing things that have never been done before. You are smart and effective at getting work done and are continuously coming up with ideas on how to make products better.
This position will require a unique blend of thinking strategically outside of the box combined with hands-on practice experience and excellent communication skills. Candidates must be comfortable navigating complex and ambiguous challenges, and working in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
- Contribute to the team's AI and data science packages as well as the core fundamental operations
- Use state-of-the-art machine learning and data mining techniques to define and create innovative solutions to problems that have never been solved before
- Actively participate in discussions on new technical approaches and identify papers/topics that are relevant to the team
- Provide operational data science support for strategic business initiatives and customer success
- Translate real-world problems into well-posed data science questions with product-oriented specifications
- Identify models, algorithms, and approaches that solve problems and meet constraints
- Build, implement, and test your concepts in Jupyter notebooks, R, and Python, using real and simulated data
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of client data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our users interact with both our consumer and business products.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems at scale and identify trends and opportunities for the company
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches.
- Deliver innovative and data-driven results on pace with the team's Sprint cycle
- Collaborate with software developers to write and test packages that execute at scale
- Collaborate with product to craft an intuitive narrative about our team's competitive advantage and secret sauce
- Prioritize simple, correct, and effective solutions above complex, interesting, and riskier ideas
- Make recommendations for next steps in solution development
- 2+ years of experience successfully delivering data science projects to stakeholders
- Masters or Ph.D. or advanced degree in a related field
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience in SQL, R, Python, and Spark
- Understanding of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions)
- Experience working with engineers and product managers to launch successful software products
- Experience working with SaaS and knowledge of marketing techstack products
- Strong problem solving skills
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Familiarity with CLV modeling is preferred
We are a people-oriented company; this means taking care of our team members is critical to our success. We believe that if we hire the smartest people and invest in them, a high-performing team - and subsequently a high performing company - will flourish.
Here's why you'll love working at Retina:
Take ownership of products, client relationships, and the trajectory of your role. Working in a startup means you're a vital member of a small team — and your work will definitely be recognized.
Our product is solving business challenges in new and exciting ways. You'll deliver capabilities companies don't even know they need yet, and learn amazing things along the way.
Your coworkers will be the type of people who take risks, welcome new perspectives, and live for great new ideas. Learn how to approach problems differently and with agility.
Encounter endless opportunities that fall outside of your wheelhouse. At Retina, you will try out new skills and gain valuable experience that puts you on a career path you love.
You can always rely on your team. Our culture is all about learning, growing, and working together to build something great. Find out what it's like to work with the best.
We also have some amazing benefits and perks that include:
Health Coverage: 99% health coverage for employees and 75% for dependents. (BlueShield PPO Platinum)
Vacation: Unlimited vacation and ample sick leave
Setup Your Own Kit: Buy what you need to get a comfortable work environment (Pick your laptop, headphones and any other accessories needed)
Conferences: 1 Paid conference and unlimited conferences where you present)
Health and Education: $250 per month towards Gym, Books, Audiobooks, or Safari Books online
Meal & Coffee Card: $250 Debit card each month for meals, coffee, etc.