Arch Systems is seeking a Data Scientist/Analytics Engineer to join our rapidly scaling team and develop our factory data collection and processing applications.
Started by Stanford Engineering PhDs and grown out of non-profit work in Africa, Arch is a venture-backed company working with the world’s largest electronics manufacturers. We combine rich data from all machines, new and legacy, to drive real time and predictive analytics transforming manufacturing efficiency and how we work.
We are looking for talented and driven people who seek a lasting impact both in transforming manufacturing operations as well as making critical industries more efficient, connected, and sustainable. Come join our diverse and passionate team!
We benchmark our compensation against market rates in the San Francisco Bay Area and use a compensation formula that includes a location factor to determine total target compensation. At Arch, total target compensation may be based on base salary, a completion bonus, and a performance bonus. The total compensation band for this role is ~$110,000.00 - $180,000.00 USD depending on experience and location.
Employees in the US can expect generous benefits for themselves and their dependents as well as equity in the company.
Applicants outside the US will be considered to become employees of one of our trusted partners and will receive benefits through them as well as NQSOs from Arch Systems.
Since before COVID-19, Arch has operated as a remote-equal team and we welcome candidates from anywhere in the world to apply. While we have team members in over 5 countries across various time zones, for this role it is required that candidates work standard business hours in PST. US applicants must be authorized to work in the US. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
About the Role
As an Arch Data Scientist/Analytics Support Engineer on our Data Science team, you will split your time equally across three areas: data science, development for programmatic report generation, and analytics support. First, you will perform data science investigations on industrial discrete-manufacturing processes to discover new opportunities to improve production efficiency, reduce waste, and improve quality, and in the process, become an expert in the SMT domain. Second, you will support Data Analysts to create reporting tools to programmatically generate complex Excel reports or datasets for BI tools. Third, you will translate proven data science investigations into robust, optimized production models and contribute to our analytics framework in which models and reports are run. The role is multidisciplinary, and will rely on strong research competence combined with industry pragmatism and proven software development skills. The ideal candidate will be adaptable to a wide range of tasks, and be accustomed to learning new technical domains and software technologies self-sufficiently and on the fly. You will be working on the most advanced problems in the electronics industry that, in most cases, are not yet well-enough characterized to be solved with straightforward applications of existing machine learning tools.
In this role your general responsibilities will be:
- Research - Given a specific topic area, explore data, hypothesize new ways to derive value from it, and create convincing evidence for your conclusions. Use this experience to contribute to a long-term research roadmap
- Optimizing – Taking solutions provided by the rest of the data science team and adapting them for production with optimized, maintainable, and extensible implementations.
- Operations – Ensure the analytics framework performs as intended and provides the required functionalities to deliver insights and analytics.
- Customer insight to opportunity framing – In collaboration with sales, customer success, data science, and your fellow engineers, help present key insights to customers, translate insights to opportunities, and down select to true opportunities to enhance customer value as well as Arch’s core platform.
- Running data investigations – Perform investigations and audits in response to customer requests.
What you bring to the table:
- Masters + 6 or Ph.D. + 2 years of relevant experience with a degree in natural sciences, engineering, or applied mathematics. Experience analyzing industrial data or other real-world data is a must.
- Proven ability to elucidate valuable areas of investigation from a wide range of possibilities and independently pursue opportunities without explicit direction.
- Strong self-motivation and independent problem solving abilities, a willingness to adapt to new challenges and fields of expertise, and readiness to learn across wide-ranging topics.
- Experience with Python, Jupyter, Pandas, and SQL, as well as familiarity with standard BI tools, Python visualization and dashboarding packages, and an appetite to expand your technical computing skills.
- Ability to prove ideas quickly in Jupyter notebooks as well as develop robust production code following established practices and deployment workflows.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and experience working across international teams.
- Ability to balance multiple work streams and great time-management balancing reactive tasks and long-running projects requiring extended periods of focussed effort.
- Experience applying data science or related software techniques to manufacturing or industrial data is a strong plus. Eagerness to rapidly learn surface mount technology (SMT) and electronics assembly processes is required, though you do not need to be, and probably are not already an expert in these exact areas.
What makes you stand out:
- Experience and domain knowledge in an industrial industry, especially manufacturing or process improvement
- Specifically any experience or knowledge in PCBA, electronics assembly or surface mount technology (SMT)
- Experience in communicating complex technical ideas to non-technical colleagues or customers, from machine operators to high level business leaders.
- Experience horizontally with data engineering to clean and process your own data or on the other side with data analyst and BI front end to display and enable your own findings
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team.
How we will support you:
- Ambitious and clear vision of how you can be a part of transforming the manufacturing supply chain and building next generation IoT technology
- Highly motivated and experienced team with the relevant domain expertise and network
- Ability to deploy your work solving cutting edge problems with Fortune 500 customers and nonprofit developing world partners alike
- Learning & Development budget to allow you to continue to grow in not only your function, but in any way that relates!
- Trust in your ability to do your best work when and where you want and to communicate this with your team
- Flexible Time Off: take the time you need, including an end-of-year break and an ask that all Arch-itects take at least one additional (consecutive) week off each year to recharge in addition to local holidays and religious observances
- Opportunity to challenge yourself, be nurtured, and grow in a highly dynamic environment
- A culture that welcomes and encourages autonomy, ownership, and transparency; allowing you to make, learn from, and teach others in your “failures” as much as your successes
- Potential to travel to annual Arch Summit, when it is safe to gather again in-person
- A culture of diversity of thought and background with many languages and nationalities on the team
Resumes must be submitted in English
We encourage interested and enthusiastic applicants to apply and not allow imposter syndrome to self-select out of an opportunity. We believe in hiring people as their full and authentic selves, allowing them to utilize their strengths and then helping them to learn, grow, and add to those strengths