Do you want to be on the leading edge of using big data and help drive development decisions for the biggest productivity software in the planet? The world is changing at an incredible pace, and technology can enable people to be more creative, productive, connected, and secure than ever before. In the current global economic context, consumers and business owners need these capabilities more than ever – but they also have less time than ever to learn how software has evolved and how they should optimally use it. Microsoft Office believes in delighting our customers by using data informed engineering to develop compelling products and services. Our Dublin, Ireland based team is looking for an experienced Data Scientist with a passion for experimentation, health and quality insights, and machine learning models to understand consumer and enterprise user behaviour and preferences.
The Office Modernization Experiences team (OMEX) team is part of the worldwide multi-billion-dollar Microsoft 365 business. The mission of OMEX is to accelerate the growth of Office subscription adoption and usage across consumer, small and medium businesses, and enterprises. The team is at the core of transforming how users purchase and redeem Microsoft 365 subscriptions and get setup in an ideal state to leverage the full value of Office. Office is a dynamic and exciting place to work with a breadth of products and services that are unrivalled. Microsoft Ireland has frequently featured as the top company ‘Ireland’s best large workplace’. Much of the work of the team in Dublin is new and innovative with over 100 patents for our inventions. We believe we can deliver outstanding results in an environment that is fun and collaborative.
The Data Scientist would leverage telemetry and experimentation to build metrics and user experience models, and partner with wide range of engineers and program managers to deliver solutions that help turn the overall business metrics.
Ideal candidates should be able to identify a business or engineering problem and translate it to a data science problem, dig out sources of data, conduct the analysis that would reveal useful insights, and help engineering teams to operationalize the solution.
- Identifies data sources, integrates multiple sources, or types of data, and applies expertise within a data source in order to develop methods to compensate for limitations and extend the applicability of the data.
- Applies (or develops if necessary) tools and pipelines to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare massive volumes of data for analysis.
- Transforms formulated problems into implementation plans for experiments by applying (and creating when necessary) the appropriate methods, algorithms, and tools, and statistically validating the results against biases and errors.
- Interprets results and develops insights into formulated problems within the business/customer context and provides guidance on risks and limitations.
- Acquires and uses broad knowledge of innovative methods, algorithms, and tools from within Microsoft and from the scientific literature and applies his or her own analysis of scalability and applicability to the formulated problem.
- Validates, monitors, and drives continuous improvement to methods, and proposes enhancements to data sources that improve usability and results.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
To be successful in this role, you will probably have:
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in Statistics, Data Science or equivalent
- Strong experience in one or more statistical software(s) such as R, SAS, or SPSS. (Minimum: 3 years)
- Strong coding abilities in one or more scripting languages like Python or SQL (Minimum: 3 years)
- Solid foundation of statistics, predictive modelling, machine learning algorithms/ frameworks (e.g. scikit-learn) and deep learning frameworks (e.g. Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch)
- Fundamental understanding of hypothesis testing, A/B testing, experimental design
- Experience with time series forecasting and anomaly detection
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies (Azure/ AWS), big data systems including map reduce technologies like Hadoop and Spark
- 5 years plus experience of applied Data Science (supervised, semi-supervised or unsupervised learning) to real world problems.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Here is what we will provide for the right candidate:
- Opportunity to make an impact on our changing business
- New challenges to grow and enhance your skills
- Play an integral part in defining and building great products that are used by millions of people
- Level of ownership and autonomy via a role that enables you to have strategic impact
- A very competitive package commensurate with a role of this calibre and impact
We would like to welcome you in an international working environment that is characterized by flexibility, an informal atmosphere, and a fast pace. Microsoft ensures your work-life-balance, offers attractive salary packages and bonus programs and a modern office, which combines innovative technics with design. The successful applicant will also become part of the Microsoft European Development Centre (EDC) in Dublin – a vibrant multi-disciplinary collective driving Microsoft innovation for our customers worldwide. This collaborative community of engineers, developers, data scientists, program managers, and others is the perfect nurturing ground for innovation, and offers a fantastic landscape for growing your career across the breadth of Microsoft products and services.