The primary focus for this role is to be a key and influential senior member of the Hiscox UK Data Chapter, focussing on best in breed data service across the Hiscox UK landscape.
This role will lead the application of data science to drive profitable growth in Hiscox UK for our direct to consumer business. This is a new position that has been created following the successful delivery of a number of data driven initiatives. We are seeking a high calibre creative thinker who can turn business problems into solutions by applying sophisticated and targeted analytics.
Based in York, this role will work alongside the division leadership, in the heart of our direct business operation. Depending on the candidate and nature of projects, the role also offers opportunity for regular travel to London to work with other parts of the UK business, as well as central teams that work on strategic data and analytics projects. In this role, you’ll be working closely with existing Pricing, MI and Marketing Analytics teams to ensure objectives can be met.
Typical projects could include:
- Increasing marketing efficiency
- Proactively identifying changes in conversion
- Assisting with A/B testing
- Embedding predictive analytics for discounting and product upselling
- Optimising operational activities using data
- Exploratory analysis to come up with ideas for how to apply data and analytics to further drive business impact
The successful candidate will be highly driven and excited about delivering value from data and analytics. He/she will become part of a virtual community of like-minded individuals across the Group that works on similar problems/projects. This community is small at present but growing fast given increased focus on driving use of data across Hiscox.
Key areas of work:
- Working with senior stakeholders to understand high value business problems that can be solved through the application of analytics
- Producing analytical solutions that work for the business, working with various teams to take these from an idea to proof of concept to delivery
- Be a subject matter expert for “Advanced Analytics”, cutting through the buzz-words and advising key stakeholders on the right path
- Educating the wider team on the Art of the Possible in terms of analytics
What should excite you about the role:
- The business:
- Leading brand across the insurance space
- Diverse product offering across homeowner and commercial insurance
- The working environment:
- Modern, purpose built office in the centre of York
- Buy-in from the senior management to implement analytics
- A collaborative IT department that is using the latest technology
- Global community of analytical professionals
- The role:
- Highly visible role with access to the divisional leadership
- Opportunities to travel / second to other offices
- Continued professional development and exposure to business
- Competitive compensation that rewards high achievers
- Passion for and experience of building analytics to deliver business value
- A strong understanding of the R language as well as an understanding of the wider eco-system and development patterns
- Intermediate to advanced SQL programming (T-SQL) allowing the efficient joining of numerous data sources across systems.
- Experience of implementing a data science approach including a working knowledge of machine learning algorithms
- Track record of taking initiative and delivering projects end-to-end; clear evidence of being self-driven/ motivated
- Immense curiosity, high energy and desire to go the extra mile to make a difference
Desirable Skills / Experience:
- Coding for automation (e.g. Python, C++, C#)
- Data scraping particularly from websites
- Source control (Git)
- Hands on experience in the Insurance Sector, Financial Services or Data-Driven Start-up
- Consulting experience
- PhD or Master’s degree in applicable area
Diversity and flexible working at Hiscox
At Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we’re committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success.
We have also learned over the past 15 months that working life doesn’t always have to in the office, and when it’s safe to do so, we will be introducing a hybrid way of working to encourage a healthy work life balance.
The successful candidate for this role will be in the office 2-3 days every fortnight. We see it as the best of both worlds: structure and sociability on one hand, and independence and flexibility on the other.
You can follow Hiscox on LinkedIn, Glassdoor and Instagram (@HiscoxInsurance)