Senior User Researcher – Surface Product Health
Are you curious, empathetic and passionate about understanding how people use new devices and technologies? Do you care and think deeply about how human interaction with physical objects matters in product design? Do you want to make a measurable impact on Surface products that enhance how people live, work, and play? Come join the Surface team, where Microsoft showcases the full power of Windows through premium devices.
The Devices Research and Inclusive Vision team is looking for a researcher who lives to build epic experiences that enhance Microsoft’s vision to empower all people to achieve more. We’re especially looking for someone who wants to learn, grow, and embody new ways of working. If you embrace growth mindset, have a track record of delivering results, and love collaborating with other researchers, product planners, data science, program managers and engineers, come join us!
Responsibilities and how you will make impact:
Your work will connect with our team goal to place more measurement and rigor into tracking the success and usage of our products, which will influence the quality and customer need fulfillment for future generations of Surface devices.
- Manage the customer sentiment engine that includes product reviews and other customer-generated product health signals. This involves end-to-end project ownership from data pipeline, data visualization, insight analysis, reporting, and providing value and support to stakeholders.
- Manipulate, analyze, tell a story, and have an opinion on complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources using a variety of tools and data analysis techniques to influence product development for product lines and subsystems.
- Collaborate with user researchers and data sciences team to connect telemetry/behavioral data with qualitative user research findings to tell comprehensive, compelling product stories; ; represent this work in executive leadership forums.
- Synthesize and report research findings in a way that communicates clear, actionable insights for decision-making by product teams.
- Use and promote data-exploration techniques to discover new or previously unasked questions.
- 5+years of hands-on research, with demonstrated skill in collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative human behavioral data.
- MA/MS or PhD in psychology, HCI, HCDE, human factors, marketing, market research, behavioral science or related field, or BA/BS in a research or quantitative-related field, or other equivalent background with industry experience.
- Experience in extracting, processing and analyzing large volumes of data using SQL or SQL-like scripting language(Cosmos, Kusto etc.)
- Ability to deep dive to deliver actionable insights on customer loyalty metrics like NPS, customer reviews, and identify opportunities to improve customer experiences.
- Ability to build and automate visualizations using reporting tools such as Power BI
- Demonstrable statistics and problem-solving skills.
- A track record of moving beyond data by translating customer needs, behavior and insights into user requirements; work with engineers, program managers and designers to inform next gen product specs that achieve an intuitive and usable experience for our customers.
- Leadership skills to influence across and up the organization to bring customer empathy and understanding to the table.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience presenting to executive-level audiences; proven track record of bringing clarity to complicated data stories to technical and non-technical audiences.
- A true advocate for inclusive design and excellent user experiences for customers of all ability levels.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies. Demonstrated agility in decision making and flexibility in the way you work. You demonstrate an openness and growth mindset in all that you do.
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience in supply chain, devices, or Windows telemetry beneficial
- Experience leading or partnering on qualitative user research studies and/or customer satisfaction related research.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.