LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
LMI is seeking a Data Scientist at the client site at Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois. This effort requires quantitative, analytical, data mining, and manipulations skills to aid ASC in its role as the Army’s Lead Materiel Integrator (LMI) responsible for integrating materiel management and materiel distribution to build Army readiness.
- Perform advanced analysis and analytics to produce algorithms and/or business process recommendations.
- Develop and use data, algorithms, and analyses to identify and apply mechanisms to both overcome impediments to materiel readiness and exploit opportunities to improve readiness through feasible, cost-effective software and business process improvements, changes, and interventions.
- Forecast and address complex analytical challenges and identify the challenges and opportunities within systems, develop comprehensive solutions, and incorporate these capabilities solutions into software and workflows.
- Develop analytics and process solution sets, the criteria for recommended algorithms and processes shall include preference for efficient methods that use as simple of a process as possible given the current state-of-the-art practices. The analytics and process solution sets shall provide appropriate, economic savings-driven answers.
- Regularly identify and communicate courses of actions required for program and project success, including appropriate reporting processes and applicable metrics to monitor and assess outcomes.
- Proactively identify mechanisms to improve mission performance.
- Use appropriate quantitative analytics techniques to include time series analysis and forecasting, advanced multivariate regression (including Probit and Logit Models), systems dynamics modelling, Bayesian inference procedures, minimax procedures (statistical), subjective probability utilization, expected utility analysis, operational risk analysis, and uncertainty evaluation.
- Use appropriate qualitative analytics techniques to include multi-criteria decision analysis, qualitative comparative analysis, causal mapping, formal game theory, minimax procedures (game theory), decision architecture, systems architecture analysis, organizational analysis and structural reform, supply chain analysis, and multinational best practices (military and industry) evaluation.
- Use logistics and agent-based modeling and simulation.
- Conduct business process analysis and optimization across the Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Leadership, Education, Personnel, Facilities, Policy (DOTMLPF-P) spectrum and beyond.
- Produce formal use cases, software program change requests, and other required documentation for technology insertion into related defense logistics support software.
- Interface and liaise with software program offices and contractors.
- Develop requirements for defense analytics software.
- Conduct stakeholder analysis and create products for stakeholder communications and messaging.
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, mathematics, statistics, economics, computer science, engineering, or other related business or quantitative discipline is required.
- 1 to 3 years of experience working directly on a data science team.
- Experience working with tools, including object- oriented programming (Python, Java), computational analysis tools (R, MATLAB), and associated data science libraries (scikit-learn).
- Experience creating meaningful data visualizations and interactive dashboards using platforms such as Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, RShiny, plotly, and d3.js to communicate findings and relate them back to how your insights create business impact.
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL.
- Possess an active interim DoD Secret security clearance. Full Secret security clearance preferred.
A Secret clearance is required for this position. Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. LMI will only consider applicants with an interim security clearance (at minimum) for this position. Please note that only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Ability to link analytic and data visualization products to database connections.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data science methods related to data architecture, data munging, data and feature engineering, and predictive analytics.
- Unstructured text and natural language processing.
- R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB. Anaconda, IBM Blue, and Oracle Big Data to analyze large data sets and develop automated analytics in making sense of data affecting DoD operations.
- Ability to develop machine learning, data mining, statistical network, natural language processing, text analytics, and graph-based algorithms to analyze massive data sets.
- Ability to supervise algorithm implementation in on-premise and cloud-based computing environments.
- Ability to develop software to generate reports and visualizations that summarize data sets and provide data-driven insights.
- Experience developing and implementing statistical, machine learning, and heuristic techniques to create descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics as well as to develop statistical tests to make data-driven recommendations and decisions.