What you'll do...
At Walmart we help people save money, so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can’t do that without the best talent – talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Do you have boundless energy and passion for engineering data used to solve dynamic problems that will shape the future of retail? With the sheer scale of Walmart’s environment comes the biggest of big data sets. As a Walmart Data Engineer, you will help unleash the power of retail data science by imagining, developing, and maintaining data pipelines that our data scientists, analysts, software developers, and business stakeholders can rely on. You will contribute to an orchestration layer of complex data transformations and will be responsible for: ingestion of raw data with different formats from many disparate sources; processing, refining, and validating the raw data; and, transforming them into targeted, valuable data assets for a wide range of applications and consumption. You will partner with data engineers, software developers, data scientists, data analysts, and business stakeholders to solve complex and exciting challenges so that we can build capabilities that evolve the retail business model while making a positive impact on our customers’ lives.
You’ll make an impact in the following ways:
- Use modern data ingestion and integration techniques to build data sets from complex multi-platform environments (both cloud and on-prem) that integrate diverse, massive scale internal and external data sources
- Develop highly scalable, highly-performant, instrumented and accurate data pipelines
- Combine a sense of urgency and expert knowledge of data engineering practice to solve and enhance complex computing performance challenges
- Identify, develop, and deliver improvements on data performance, data quality and cost, which needs to be monitored and analyzed
- Develop systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows- driving toward increasingly lower latency so our data scientists, data analysts and the models they build reflect what is happening in our business right now
- Define system performance and operational metrics and create dashboards to continuously monitor those metrics
- Maintain thorough and well-written documentation
- Apply strong foundational software engineering practices
- Learn continuously to apply new, effective data engineering techniques and best practices from across industries
- Collaborate closely with the development team and other team members regarding the progress of your work
- Take ownership and be highly organized of the projects and tasks assigned
- Coach and mentor junior data engineers
- Share knowledge with other members on the team
- Enable data governance practices and process by being a passionate adopter and ambassador
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You’re an inquisitive, out-of-the box thinker who’s continually on the lookout for opportunities to improve and innovate data systems and analytic solutions
- You have consistently high standards, and your passion for quality is inherent in everything that you do
- You are a collaborative connector who builds bridges among team members and between teams and functions
- You evangelize an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance
- You have 3+ years of working experience with Java and Python
- You have 3+ years of working experience with PySpark/Spark, Hive and Hadoop technologies
- You have 3+ years of working experience with container technology (Docker) and container orchestration (Kubernetes)
- You have 3+ years of working experience with SQL
- You have experience working with NoSQL technologies (MongoDB, Cassandra)
- You have experience with messaging technologies (Kafka, GCP Pub/Sub) and workflow environments (Airflow)
- You have experience working with large data sets
- You have experience working with software engineering best practices such as version control (Git), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven etc.), passion for QA and are familiar with automated unit testing and DevOps
- You have working experience with cloud platforms Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- You have experience with Agile development methodologies
- You are motivated and willing to learn quickly with our team’s help on understanding the impact and building event driven systems that support sets of machine learning models to solve real world problems
- You possess strong critical thinking skills, analytical problem-solving skills, foundational software engineering skills
- You have exposure to machine learning modeling life cycle
- You possess excellent communication skills, strong critical thinking skills, analytical problem-solving skills, foundational software engineering skills
- You are passionate in and will act to learning modern technology
- You are interested in retail
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 5 years’ experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 1 year’s experience in software engineering or related
2 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
10790 PARKRIDGE DR. SUITE 200, RESTON, VA 20191, United States of America