As a team member in the Finance and Internal Audit department at Nationwide, the opportunities are endless! You can grow and learn in diverse areas across many disciplines such as Advanced Analytics, Investments, Actuarial, Accounting, Risk Management, Critical Business Advisor and so much more. Let Nationwide help create your career journey!
Internal Compensation Grade: F5
Location: Greater Columbus, OH - This is a Hybrid position requiring at least one day in the office a week.
typically 3+ years of related industry experience or related educational experience (Masters or PhD preferred)Job Description Summary
Do you have the desire to play a critical role in driving data-based business outcomes? At Nationwide, our Analytic Scientists are responsible for modeling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying business opportunities using scientific research methods, statistics, machine learning and data visualization techniques. They participate in all phases of the analytic lifecycle, from research design, data collection and data processing to model building, deployment and presentation of results. We value a commitment to lifelong learning and strong quantitative judgment. If you are a methodological generalist who is adept at applying your technical skill set to a wide range of business applications, we want to know more about you!
As a Specialist, you’ll often work independently and seek guidance and support from their manager as needed. You’ll participate in all phases of the analytic lifecycle, from research design, data collection and data processing to model building, deployment and presentation of results. We’ll count on you to be fully proficient with common statistical and machine learning techniques and exhibit some knowledge of advanced modeling techniques and their application.Job Description
- Completes well-defined objectives associated with the design, development, implementation, and monitoring of statistical and machine learning models independently.
- Works with business partners to craft an analytic strategy that meets their needs and delivers timely results.
- Integrates relevant internal and external research findings to generate hypotheses and help business partners make informed decisions.
- Applies advanced quantitative techniques to analyze any given data structure.
- Builds predictive and explanatory models to generate actionable insights and practical solutions to business problems.
- Crafts deliverables that provide clear and concise summaries of findings and recommendations using impactful storylines and data visualization geared to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Upholds a high standard for methodological rigor, sound statistical inference, and robust model validation.
May perform other duties as assigned.Reporting Relationships:
Reports to Senior Consultant or Director. Leads interns as assigned.Typical Skills And Experiences
Preferred undergraduate or graduate studies in statistics, engineering, math, quantitative social science disciplines or related areas. Experience building and deploying
machine learning and/or statistical models or executing quantitative research studies may be considered in lieu of formal education.Experience:
Typically, three or more years of related experience in a relevant field.Knowledge, Abilities And Skills
- Quantitative judgment: Experience building and deploying machine learning and/or statistical models.
- Research methods: Knowledge of multiple quantitative research and analysis approaches and their tradeoffs.
- Programming ability: Python, R, SQL, or any other transferrable language (MATLAB, Java, etc.).
- Communication skills: Reading/writing/speaking about predictive modeling to stakeholders ranging from business partners to modeling experts. Capable of developing compelling stories and distinctive data visualizations.
- Passion, inquisitiveness, creativity, self-starters and team builders.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the Vice President and HR Vice President.Values:
Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.Job Conditions
Exempt (Not Eligible)Working Conditions:
Normal office environmentADA:
The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.Benefits
We have an array of benefits to fit your needs, including: medical/dental/vision, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, paid time off with newly hired associates receiving a minimum of 18 days paid time off each full calendar year pro-rated quarterly based on hire date, nine paid holidays, 8 hours of Lifetime paid time off, 8 hours of Unity Day paid time off, 401(k) with company match, company-paid pension plan, business casual attire, and more. To learn more about the benefits we offer, click here.
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.