Putting people first, every day
BDO is a firm built on a foundation of positive relationships with our people and our clients. Each day, we rely on our professionals to provide exceptional service, and help our clients by providing advice and insight they can trust. In turn, we offer an environment that fosters a people-first culture with a high priority on your personal and professional growth.Your opportunity
Lixar, fueled by BDO Canada, is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team. This hands-on person will be involved in the creation of sophisticated algorithms and data mining strategies designed to maximize the value of our customer’s data, while playing an instrumental role in the development of Lixar’s Data offering. Must be eligible or hold an active Government issued Security clearance.
Responsibilities will include:
- Hands on and directly involved in the creation of sophisticated algorithms, data mining & machine learning strategies
- Significantly contributing to the development of Lixar BDO’s Data offering
- Finding creative ways and/or new perspectives on available data to provide value to our customers
- Working with our Research & Development team to:
- Apply theories and conduct experiments using available toolsets
- Provide mentorship in data mining & machine learning techniques
- Conduct studies, tests and use advanced data mining & modeling techniques to build solutions that optimize the quality and performance of the company’s data
How do we define success for your role?
- You demonstrate BDO's core values through all aspect of your work: Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- You understand your client’s industry, challenges, and opportunities; client describe you as positive, professional, and delivering high quality work
- You identify, recommend, and are focused on effective service delivery to your clients
- You share in an inclusive and engaging work environment that develops, retains & attracts talent
- You actively participate in the adoption of digital tools and strategies to drive an innovative workplace
- You grow your expertise through learning and professional development.
Your experience and education
- 5+ years relevant analytics and data mining & modeling work experience
- Extensive experience developing custom algorithms for analyzing and processing data, and demonstrated ability to implement new algorithms and methodologies from leading open source initiatives
- Strong Python experience
- Expertise in some of the following Data Science methods along with a working knowledge in most:
- Bayesian methods
- Linear and Logistic Regression
- Random Forests
- Dimensionality reduction
- Support vector machines
- Machine vision
- Natural Language Processing
- Neural Networks
- Gradient Boosting and Signal Processing
- The language, libraries and toolkits you use should include some of the following: Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras Spark, Docker, R etc
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical ability
- Working experience with relational database management system (RDBMS) with a strong knowledge of SQL
- What will make you stand out:
- Master’s or PhD degree in quantitative discipline (Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science or similar)
- Good foundational skills in programming for production grade systems
- Any experience with cloud technologies: Azure, AWS or GCP
- Any experience with Docker considered an asset
- Familiarity with Data Engineering
- Any experience with visualization tools is a plus: PowerBI, Tableau, d3.js, R Shiny, Bokeh, Dash.
Our firm is committed to providing an environment where you can be successful in the following ways:
- We enable you to engage with the firm's strategic plan, and be a key contributor to the success and growth of the firm.
- We help you be the best professional you can be in our services, industries and markets.
- Achieve your personal goals outside of the office and make an impact on your community.
Giving back, it adds up: Where company meets community. BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives. We support staff with local and national events where you will be given the opportunity to contribute to your community.
Total rewards that matter: We pay for performance with competitive total cash compensation that recognizes and rewards your contribution. We provide flexible benefits from day one, and a market leading personal time off policy. We are committed to supporting your overall wellness beyond working hours, and provide reimbursement for wellness initiatives that fit your lifestyle.
Everyone counts: We believe every employee should have the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through leadership by our Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, we are committed to a workplace culture of respect, inclusion, and diversity. We recognize and celebrate the valuable differences among each of us, including race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us.
Ready to make your mark at BDO? Click “Apply now” to send your up-to-date resume to one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists.
To explore other opportunities at BDO, check out our careers page.