Who are we?
The Sanlam Retail Affluent business (SRA) is dedicated to empower South Africans in the middle- and upper-income segments to be financially confident, secure and prosperous. With deep client understanding and a focus on excellence in technology, client and intermediary experiences, SRA delivers financial solutions including comprehensive financial planning, life- and disability insurance, credit solutions, savings and investments, retirement and fiduciary services that can be accessed through various platforms.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Graduate Junior Data Engineer to join our data warehouses and analytics team. As a Graduate Junior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the design, development, and maintenance of data pipelines that can ingest and persist large volumes of data. You will work closely with our experienced team members to learn and apply best practices in big data processing.
If you're a graduate with a passion for big data processing and a desire to learn and grow in a dynamic team environment, we want to hear from you! Apply today with your CV and cover letter and take the first step towards a fulfilling career as a Junior Data Engineer with us!What will you do?
What will make you successful in this role?
- Collaborate with data scientists and data analysts to understand business requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
- Build, test, and deploy scalable data processing systems.
- Assist in troubleshooting data pipeline issues and optimizing performance.
- Learn and contribute to the design and implementation of our cloud strategy, taking into account the differences between an on-premises environment and a cloud environment.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in big data processing.
Knowledge And Skills
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals and programming concepts.
- Knowledge of databases, SQL, and data modelling.
- Familiarity with big data processing technologies such as HDFS and Cloudera, as well as scripting languages such as Python, Bash, or Perl.
- Familiarity with Spark or similar environments is a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Willingness to learn and take on new challenges.
Object and data models
Defines, designs and builds dimensional databases
Translates business needs into long-term architecture solutions
Development of data warehousing blueprints.
Data warehouse managementPersonal Attributes
Interpersonal savvy - Contributing independently
Decision quality - Contributing independently
Plans and aligns - Contributing independently
Optimises work processes - Contributing independentlyBuild a successful career with us
We’re all about building strong, lasting relationships with our employees. We know that you have hopes for your future – your career, your personal development and of achieving great things. We pride ourselves in helping our employees to realise their worth. Through its four business clusters – Sanlam Life and Savings, Sanlam Investment Group, Sanlam Emerging Markets, Santam, as well as MiWay and the Group Office – the group provides many opportunities for growth and development.Core Competencies
Being resilient - Contributing independently
Collaborates - Contributing independently
Cultivates innovation - Contributing independently
Customer focus - Contributing independently
Drives results - Contributing independentlyTurnaround time
The shortlisting process will only start once the application due date has been reached. The time taken to complete this process will depend on how far you progress and the availability of managers.30 November 2023
Our commitment to transformation
The Sanlam Group is committed to achieving transformation and embraces diversity. This commitment is what drives us to achieve a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace as we believe that these are key components to ensuring a thriving and sustainable business in South Africa. The Group's Employment Equity plan and targets will be considered as part of the selection process.