Quadrant is a location data and technology company that helps data professionals obtain and utilise high-quality authentic mobile location and point-of-interest data. Quadrant’s mission is to bring trust and visibility into the data space. While data has the potential to greatly improve businesses and products, volume alone is not enough. Quadrant uses blockchain solution to move the industry forward and enable big data users to solve big problems.
As part of Quadrant’s Data Science team, you will be provided ample opportunities to learn and work with mobile location data. You will be doing analysis on location data and propose recommendations on real world problems. You will use Python, Tableau, AWS tools including Athena to crunch big data and extract insights. The more curious you are, the more you love to take challenges, the more you will learn with us.
All this data must come from somewhere and go somewhere, right? In this role, you will also be exposed to how a data transaction platform operates. You’ll be working closely with all facets of the company and learning about the overall data economy with us.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 1-2 years of work experience preferably in the data analytics, consulting or data science.
- Proficient computer skills and flexible in coding with a good knowledge in Python with exposure to machine learning and SQL.
- Optional Knowledge in GIS, big data frameworks like PySpark, Apache Spark framework or exposure to AWS services is also a plus.
- Creative data visualization, data extrapolation and story-telling skills.
- Excellent reporting and verbal communication skills.
- Passionate to learn new technologies and develop creative ideas.
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The intern will work with the core team to learn technologies including AWS Athena that are used to handle big data.
- The intern will be provided with business questions and location data to perform data cleaning, location analysis/visualization and report in detail to the core team. Good extrapolation and story-telling skills is expected.
- The intern will analyze location data using AWS Athena and provide reports on data quality.
- The intern will also work closely with the marketing and sales team, get real world problems, perform analysis and provide recommendations to solve them.
- Depending on the capability, the intern might build machine learning algorithms on location data and make predictions.
- Brainstorming with the core team on how to provide real-time data services to the clients.
- Periodic reporting or presentation to the core team on learning points while performing real-time analytics.
- Develop detailed project plans, timelines, and work flows to ensure timely completion.
- Take ownership and perform ad-hoc analysis tasks assigned.
- Proven experience as a Data Scientist or Data Analyst
- Experience in data mining
- Understanding of machine-learning and operations research
- Knowledge of R, SQL and Python; familiarity with Scala, Java or C++ is an asset
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau) and data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop)
- Analytical mind and business acumen
- Strong math skills (e.g. statistics, algebra)
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field; graduate degree in Data Science or other quantitative field is preferred
- Work with an ambitious and growing startup team.
- Direct interaction and learning from the executive team.
- Learning to perform analysis on real-time Big Data (not on a 50 row flower datasets).
- Learning the Big Data stack architecture, business models in location space.