Senior Data Scientist/ Biomedical Engineer
Effective Tuesday, January 4, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Philips*. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation.
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is a field-based or remote role, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
- Montana employees are currently excluded from this requirement at this time.
Philips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common: An unwavering sense of purpose and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers’ needs. It’s what inspires us to create meaningful solutions – the kind that make a real difference – when it matters most.
The world and our customers’ needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That’s why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity to make life better:
Looking at the challenges the world is facing today, Philips’ purpose has never been more relevant. So, whatever your role, if you share our passion for helping others, you’ll be working towards creating a better and fairer future for all.
The Sr. Data Scientist Biomedical Engineer works cross-functionally to lead clinical study design and execution related to product development, feasibility studies, and clinical trials. This leadership role also supports the specification, design and validation of existing or new medical wearable sensors, as well as novel data processing algorithms.
You are responsible for:
- Development and support of new clinical sensors and clinical algorithms.
- Specification and design of clinical study protocols and data collection.
- Clinical study data analysis and report preparation.
- Specification of tools for field performance evaluation.
- Supports cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams.
- Fosters a collaborative team environment.
- Authors and reviews technical documentation regarding clinical study protocols, data collection and algorithm design.
- Maintains and refines a broad knowledge of relevant and appropriate new technologies, as well as champion technical innovation and influential decisions within all levels of the enterprise.
You are part of Ambulatory Monitoring & Diagnostics Business (AM&D):
Ambulatory Monitoring & Diagnostics (AM&D) is part of the Philips Connected Care business cluster. Philips BioTelemetry is part of the AM&D business and provides remote cardiac monitoring services for more than one million patients per year. Philips acquired BioTelemetry in early 2021. The combination of Philips and BioTelemetry results in a global leader in patient care management solutions for the hospital and the home, a leading U.S.-based provider of remote cardiac diagnostics and monitoring.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a customer-first attitude and the following:
- B.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Human Physiology, M.S. or PhD Degree preferred.
- 7 or more years of related work experience.
- Hands-on experience with design and execution of human user studies involving physiological measurement devices.
- Prior job experience with physiological data collection, data logging and data analysis.
- Experience working with large real-world noisy data sets.
- Advance programming skills (Python, MATLAB).
- Expert in digital signal processing and algorithm design.
- Deep analytical skills, extensive capability to break down a problem and find the root cause, creative thinking and flexibility, considering new ways of thinking to solve a problem.
- Desire to identify and leverage appropriate new technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Technical leadership and mentoring skills.
In return, we offer you:
The ability to collaborate with, learn and grow from colleagues in a highly complex, global organization where you can use your strengths to help drive strategic business initiatives for Philips. Additionally, we provide you a dynamic working environment in an innovative business, paired with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a supportive atmosphere where you can sharpen your talents with new challenges and career opportunities.
US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.
Company relocation benefits will not be provided for this position. For this position, you will reside in or within commuting distance to San Diego, CA.
How we work at Philips:
Our newly adopted hybrid work concept fuses flexibility with collaboration to deliver great outcomes for our people and our customers. We are embracing an approach wherein we spend more time together than apart – which for full-time employees translates to an average of at least 3 days working from the office and up to 2 days from home – for our hybrid roles.
Hybrid work flexibility means people can meet the changing demands of work and home in the most balanced, productive, and healthy way.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.
Visit our careers website to explore what it’s like working at Philips, read stories from our employee blog, find information about our recruitment process and answers to some frequently asked questions.
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran