Roles and responsibilities:
As a Data Scientist at Lazada, you will apply different techniques such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, natural language processing and operational research to drive and equip Lazada with the right strategies to best position ourselves in the market and to enhance platform growth. You will work alongside various teams to understand their different strategies and requirements and drive the core algorithms for business success.
The ideal candidate will be very hands-on and will dive deep into the root causes of any issues and blockers. You will be responsible for building algorithms specific to the domain that you will be assigned to. At your level, you will be partnering and collaborating with PICs across functions to lead specific projects. There are currently 4 domains under Lazada Data Science – of which you will be assigned to one:
1) Assortment Growth: including campaign product selection, pricing, product tagging, matching and recommendation, etc. to boost seller and platform growth.
2) Promotion: including the design, development and optimization of promotion voucher scheme generation, promotion recommendation, promotion distribution, performance prediction and analysis.
3) Logistics: including smart routing, parcel volume prediction, smart manpower arrangement, and deeply responsible for algorithm optimizations for business scenarios (first mile, last mile, and long haul)
4) Seller Growth: including seller profiling and selling opportunities mining for seller growth, product listing, category prediction, attributes mining and predictions, product knowledge graph, review mining, sentiment analysis, Southeast Asia natural language processing, etc.
Other activities which you will be involved in include:
1) Keeping up to date with the state-of-the-art research and integrated applications on deep learning, recommendation, optimization, reinforcement learning, transferring learning, amongst others.
2) Continually improving algorithms to adapt to evolving business requirements, and ensuring high efficiency, scalability as well as good coding style.
3) Regular communication across teams/functions and updates to relevant stakeholders on progress of projects.
4) Exploring possible new and better innovations by writing patents and top-level papers.
- Graduate with a PhD or Master’s in Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, or equivalent fields
- Solid data science or algorithm work experience in e-commerce or related domains.
- Prior experience of leading key projects with business partners to success.
- Solid theoretical foundations in at least two of the following: machine learning, natural language processing, personalized search & recommendation, user/seller behavior modelling, sales prediction, knowledge graph and representation, marketing algorithms or large-scale data analysis/platforms. Related project experiences in any of the above is a plus.
- Expertise in deep learning, reinforcement learning, transfer learning, explore & exploit algorithms, control theory is preferred.
- Fluent programming skills in at least one core programming language: SQL, Java or Python.