WRc is seeking an experienced and ambitious Data Scientist/Statistician to join a team of people who are passionate about innovating and driving value from data. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of analysing large and complex data using both statistical and machine learning techniques. Not only will you create solutions to solve some of the most challenging business problems across the organisation, but you will also be supporting data-driven decision making and helping to shape the future of WRc’s analytics products and services.
WRc is looking for an experienced analyst with a strong statistics background and a proven aptitude for data science methods to work alongside an enthusiastic team of data scientists, analysts, and subject matter experts. In this role you will be tasked with applying data mining techniques, conducting statistical analyses and deploying machine learning techniques to provide solutions to our clients in the water, gas and rail sectors. You will be responsible for ensuring your colleagues continue to develop their understanding of statistics within the broader data science domain, and together, ensuring the best tools and techniques are deployed to solve our clients’ challenges.
You will be required to deploy a variety of timeseries and spatial analytical methods, develop both diagnostic and predictive analytics solutions, and work closely with our subject matter experts to turn your insights into meaningful outcomes for our clients. As part of our vibrant consultancy business, you will work on a range of diverse projects at once, ensuring that you will be intellectually and technically challenged.
As a Data Scientist/Statistician at WRc you will:
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of subject matter experts and analysts to lead the development and delivery of analytics solutions for our clients.
- Build innovative solutions for a myriad of diverse problems.
- Support the technical mentoring and professional development of colleagues.
- Support the business development, exploitation and productisation of WRc’s analytics offerings.
- Educated to first degree level or higher, in mathematics, statistics or a relevant scientific discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience conducting statistical analysis on large or complex data sets within, or on behalf of, one or more clients in a sector relevant to WRc.
- Demonstrable programming ability in one or more of R, Python, Java, SQL.
- Demonstrable experience of using Git for data science project management.
- The ability to model complex problems mathematically and/or computationally and to provide rigorous and compelling interpretations of results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proven ability to explain solutions to both technical and non-specialist audiences.
- Experience recognising how statistical modelling/machine learning methods can be used most effectively to solve clients’ problems.
- Willingness to learn new skills and technically mentor others.
- Flexible approach to work, with a proven ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated with energy and enthusiasm.
- Eligible to work permanently in the UK.
- Track record of deploying data science products with demonstrable effect.
- Experience in a regulated utility and/or consultancy environment.
- Experience in training members of a team in statistical, analytical and/or relevant coding methods.
- Experience in geospatial analytical techniques.
- Experience of cloud computing platforms and/or knowledge of common machine learning toolkits.
Introduction to WRc Ltd
As part of the RSK Group, WRc Ltd is one of the world’s most innovative and independent scientific and engineering consultancies. Founded over 90 years ago, we have a unique heritage. We are trusted by Government, industry, regulators, and utility companies to solve today’s most significant and urgent challenges in the fields of water, gas, rail, waste, and the natural environment.
The WRc Opportunity
We provide exciting opportunities for the right people to join us. You will play your part in our future by enabling us to achieve our commercial objectives through the delivery of customer-focused solutions. In return, you will be part of an organisation in which expertise is celebrated; an infectious passion for your specialist skillset is actively welcomed; and drive and performance are rewarded.
Culture & Benefits
In our welcoming and inclusive environment, at WRc we foster a culture where talented and motivated people are nurtured, encouraged and supported to succeed and develop their skills. We know that with the right people, we are able to build on our reputation for innovation and technical excellence. We welcome team members who bring new ways of thinking and fresh approaches to problem-solving as well as those who have a genuine passion for their specialist subject.
In return for your commitment, we offer a wide range of benefits including:
- Flexible working hours based on a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday
- A contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Free accident/life insurance
- Cash Health Plan
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free parking
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- M4 corridor office location with excellent travel links
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area. Candidates should confirm this when applying with their CV and covering letter.
For more information please call Beth Sproston on 07918 901 359 or email BSproston@rsk.co.uk.
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer