Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Engineer Lead for our San Antonio, TX, or Plano, TX facility, or 100% remote office as well.
This position will be on the new Bank Data Technology Strategy and Design team with the primary focus on data engineering and solution design in support of Bank Data Platform journey.
Data Engineers deliver quality reporting and data intelligence solutions to the organization and assist client teams with drawing insights to make informed, data driven decisions. Data Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle; gather and analyze requirements, collect, process, store and secure, use, share and communicate, archive, reuse and repurpose data. Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Design and implement complex technical solutions.
- Provides guidance to teams to help design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Participate in daily standups and lead design reviews.
- Breakdown business features into technical stories and approaches.
- Identify and re-engineer data processes to improve overall efficiency and business value.
- Create proof of concepts and prototypes.
- Implement efficient defect management, root cause analysis, and resolution processes.
- Ensure that team builds processes that support effective data management, metadata management, and good data quality.
Mentor and coach junior / experienced engineers.
- Manage projects within team and work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Provide guidance and work with team members to ensure successful completion of tasks
- Bachelor's degree in related field of study, OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required.
- And, 8 years of data management experience implementing data solutions demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific discipline(s)/technology(s) to include 2 years demonstrated technical leadership experience and/or leading teams.
- Deep experience with and contributes to multiple technologies and product lines across a company.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience with designing, implementing, monitoring modern data platforms
- Experience leading data engineering and solution design across multiple projects and functional areas
- Experience applying DevOps and DataOps concepts to improve quality and time to market for data and analytics products
- Ability to model and design modern data structures, SQL/NoSQL databases, Data Lakes, Cloud Data Warehouses (SnowFlake preferred)
- Experience with performance optimizations and best practices for scalable data models, pipelines and queries
- Experience in a software engineer role, leveraging Java, Python, Scala or C++
- Experience with cloud-based data offerings (Amazon AWS, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Comprehensive knowledge of data management / data governance principles
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $$117,600 - $211,700.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is notavailable for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 2/18/21 by 11:59 pm CST time.