Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Senior Data Engineer to join one of our Experience Mission departments!
Our teams within the Experience Mission are responsible for all of Spotify’s consumer experiences across our mobile apps as well as platforms like desktop, web, TVs, smart-speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations to make Spotify available wherever our users are.
We are hiring data engineers who are passionate about building structured, high-quality data solutions. These solutions will be used to evolve our products, bringing better experiences to Spotify users and the global artist community alike. We process petabytes of data using tools such as GCP and its products suite such as BigQuery, Dataflow and Pub/sub. We are also known to write our own open source software to cater for our needs, such as Scio, a Scala API wrapper for Apache Beam.
What you'll do
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data processing systems with Scala, and cloud platforms.
- Work with other software engineers, data scientists, and decision-makers, such as product managers, to build exceptional data powered products.
- Evolving our data pipelines towards technical excellence by improving data quality through testing, tooling and continuously evaluating performance at scale.
- Perform root cause analysis on data and processes in order to answer business questions and find opportunities for improvement.
- Continuously improving our code bases by working with innovative data processing frameworks, technologies, and platforms.
- Work in multi-functional teams with end-to-end responsibility for product development and delivery within the mission.
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Spotify in general.
Who you are
- You are knowledgeable and driven about software engineering. We use languages such as Python, Java, Scala and SQL combined with various cloud solutions. Although you might not have a background in our field, bringing knowledge and experience from other fields is merited.
- You have experience working with data processing frameworks like Apache Beam, Apache Spark, Apache Flink.
- You have strong analytical skills and love to visualize your data findings in a clear and easy to understand way and to collect corner cases of implementations.
- You care deeply about agile software processes, reliability, and responsible experimentation as well as being a strong advocate for engineering best practices such as continuous integration and delivery.
- You understand the value of collaboration within teams. You are comfortable with asynchronous communication, being able to work independently while always sharing context with your team members.
- You have a proven understanding of data modeling, data access, and data storage, caching, replication, and optimization techniques.
Where you'll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the EMEA region in which we have a work location and is within working hours
- Working hours? We operate within the Central European and GMT time zones for collaboration and ask that all be located that time zone
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.