We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join Data.SN within Springer Nature Operations. Springer Nature is a leading publisher of scientific books, journals and magazines with over 3000 journal titles and one of the world’s largest corpora of peer-reviewed scientific text data.
You would be joining a new programme of work to transform how Springer Nature uses its data: building up data capabilities, creating a data platform and engineering capability (technology, people and process) to create a foundation for the future, adding value to cross-organisation Initiatives and kick-starting data-driven Innovation.
Across the programme, our teams are cross-functional, diverse and made up of different experience levels. All team members collaborate to deliver the best solutions that satisfy our customers’ needs.
We are committed to growing and nurturing our people for the long-term. We spend 10% of our time working on our own projects to promote learning and innovation; as well as regular lunch n’ learn sessions to share knowledge.
What you will be doing
Within 3 Months you will:
- Get familiar with our emerging technology stack and data landscape.
- Align yourself with the work of the data platform team and understand the data requirements and issues facing our users.
- Collaborate effectively with each discipline on the team.
- Actively participate in technical discussions and share ideas.
- Work with architects and other data engineers in the organisation to align the data processing architecture
By 3-6 months you will:
- Have an understanding of the team’s context within the wider organisation.
- Be a supportive member of the team, developing the platform by using the appropriate technology solutions to solve the problem at hand.
- Triage support queries and diagnose issues in our live applications.
- Identify new sources of data across the organisation and build relationships with data providers to gain access.
- Understand the processes by which data is acquired
- Develop and maintain data pipelines to load data into systems like BigQuery, to analyse, clean and join datasets, in an automated, repeatable way.
- Ensure that data is stored securely and in compliance with GDPR.
- Work with data owners to understand how we can allow them to self-serve their data using tools we develop.
By 6-12 months you will:
- Develop processes and tools to monitor feeds and test data integrity and completeness and to alert users when a problem occurs.
- Understand our customers’ needs, both internal and external, and how your work affects their experience.
- Able to gauge the complexity or scope of a piece of work, breaking it into smaller pieces when appropriate.
- Mentor other members of the team in the principles of data engineering and promote best practice.
- If you have an interest in data science there may be opportunities to apply machine learning techniques to these datasets to assist in the work of domain teams.