The COVID-19 Federation-wide Senior Data Analyst has the primary task to lead data collection, validation, and analysis of the financial and programmatic indicator data relating to National Societies’ response to COVID-19. This includes all actions from systems development and maintenance of data management systems, coordination of inputs, to data analysis, visualization, and reporting. The position fits with the ambition of the IFRC to be data informed in its operational decision making and be an accountable and trusted actor.
Furthermore, the Covid-19 Federation-wide Senior Data Analyst will work with PMER and IM colleagues in Geneva and the different IFRC offices involved in the operation to improve reporting rates and ensure minimum standards in data quality so that the data informs operational decision making, highlights successes and gaps, and supports global communication and positioning of the IFRC network in the Covid-19 response.
The COVID-19 Federation-wide Senior Data Analyst is a member of the FDRS team in Geneva, working closely with the team of data analysts responsible to engage with NS focal points and their PMER counterparts in regional and country offices.
The incumbent will directly report to the Coordinator, Federation-wide Databank and Reporting System and will have a technical line management to the Covid-19 Global PMER Coordinator, ensuring full alignment with the Covid-19 PMER framework and reporting schedule.Job Duties & Responsibilities 1
Systems development and innovation
- Lead the development and implementation of global systems and tools to optimize current business processes and facilitate data collection, validation, and reporting. This includes optimization and automation of processes, systems integrations (with FDRS and GO), and other technological aspects.
- Lead overall quality control over the different systems and tools and ensure compliance by other team members.
Data collection and validation
- Oversee the Global Covid-19 data collection and validation process with other FDRS team members, as well as colleagues from the wider PMER, IM, and technical teams and monitor compliance and quality of inputs – referring any significant issues to the FDRS Coordinator.
- Take the lead to further develop the current Covid-19 data collection tools and methodologies created by the FDRS team.
- Lead feedback and lessons learned sessions with different stakeholders to actively improve tools and methodologies.
Data analysis, visualization, and reporting
- Lead global data analysis for Federation-wide COVID-19 reports (operational updates and other types of reports) following a rigorous review of incoming data and validation process to ensure a high-quality standard of the data reported.
- Support efforts of visualisation of data received from National Societies via the COVID-19 data collection tools, creating easily sustainable data ingestion pipelines and dashboards. Respond to additional data analysis and visualization requests within the IFRC Secretariat.
- Ensure regular operational dashboard updates and ensure effective quality control of data pipelines and information shared.
Global coordination and guidance
- Support the Covid-19 Global PMER Coordinator and the FDRS Coordinator in further developing the Covid-19 operational framework and its monitoring and reporting tools.
- Lead the updating of existing guidance to National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies describing the Covid-19 operational response framework with its planning, monitoring, and reporting tools.
- Update and maintain the Covid-19 indicator guide providing guidance, definitions, and examples to facilitate National Societies’ reporting for improved data quality.
- As required, support PMER teams to run global and regional online technical support sessions with National Societies and colleagues to roll-out tools and guidance and promote quality contributions from NSs.
- Work towards improving engagement with technical departments and sectoral focal points throughout the data collection and validation process by ensuring engagement and validation matrix is reviewed, improved, and accessed by all stakeholders.
Alignment with FDRS
Job Duties & Responsibilities 2
- Ensure systems, processes, and methodologies align with established FDRS standards and operating procedures.
- Ensure the learning gained through the Covid-19 response is adapted to improve existing FDRS processes and other Federation-wide efforts.
- Contribute to the wider analysis efforts and a potential Everyone Counts report during 2021.
- Support ongoing efforts to develop Federation-wide tools, standards, and guidance based on own Covid-19 Federation-wide experience.
Data protection, responsibility, and accountability
- Promote a culture of accountability with management and across all sectors.
- Ensure a responsible processing of data using ethical standards and data protection principles throughout the process, avoiding over-collection, misuse or loss of data.
- Actively work towards increasing usability of the data for evidence-based decision making and to inform accountability to people we serve, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Graduate degree in a relevant humanitarian or Social Sciences, ideally studies relating to data management, statistics etc.
- Basic Delegate Training Course or IMPACT, ERU, CAP Training or equivalent experience
- Post-graduate qualification in economics, statistics or data science
- Experience in NS capacity strengthening
- Experience working in an emergency response context
- Strong background in the management of quantitative and qualitative data for the humanitarian sector
- Demonstrated experience of working on large scale data collection, management, analysis and visualization and delivering on targets successfully
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- 5 or more years’ experience working for the RCRC Movement
Competencies and Values
- Highly developed research and analytical skills, including report writing and presentations
- Confident in using advanced functions of Excel, Tableau, Power BI, and Kobo Toolbox. Other data analysis, visualization, and mapping tools would be a plus (e.g. Stata, R, Python, D3, CARTO, QGIS)
- Experience with designing and using PMER concepts, tools, and best practices
- Excellent written and oral communication, organizational and presentation skills in English, with knowledge of other IFRC languages (French, Spanish, Arabic) being an advantage
Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
Job Reference: IFRC04836