Louis Dreyfus Company is a leading merchant and processor of agricultural goods. Our activities span the entire value chain from farm to fork, across a broad range of business lines, we leverage our global reach and extensive asset network to serve our customers and consumers around the world. Structured as a matrix organization of six geographical regions and ten platforms, Louis Dreyfus Company is active in over 100 countries and employs approximately 17,000 people globally.Job Description
We are looking for a Data Scientist who is interested in agriculture and eager to learn new skills. As a Data Scientist, you will be involved in developing and applying analytical and machine learning solutions to various agricultural challenges. You will work with large spatial-temporal datasets, standard analytical packages, and financial instruments to support supply, demand, and marketing strategies. You will also communicate your findings and recommendations to local and global stakeholders.
**This position is not eligible for sponsorship. The position is required to sit in Wilton, CT and hybrid 3 days**
- Develop predictive models: Use statistical, econometric, and machine learning tools to analyze large-scale internal and public commodity-related data. This includes estimating supply, demand, and price models based on sound theory, subject-matter knowledge, and best-practice programming techniques.
- Analyze weather datasets: Transform and analyze large-scale raster and vectorized global weather datasets such as GFS for various analytical purposes.
- Create dashboards and custom tools: Develop dashboards and custom tools to deploy findings to commercial groups using latest tools and technologies.
- Present findings: Present findings to broad commercial groups and effectively summarize and communicate model features and results for global risk management.
- Contribute to database construction: Contribute to the construction and maintenance of internal databases and Python libraries.
- Build high-quality models: Build high-quality statistical, economic, and machine learning models on demand using state-of-the-art analytical tools. Clearly explain assumptions, model advantages, and limitations.
To be successful in this role, you should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 2 years of industry experience in data science, analytics, or related fields.
- Degree in data science, statistics, computer science, or similar (advanced degree is a plus)
- Excellent programming skills in Python or a similar language. You should be able to create functions, classes, modules, and packages using best practices and standards.
- Strong knowledge of standard analytical packages like Pandas, Numpy, Geopandas, etc. You should be able to manipulate, transform, and visualize data using these tools.
- Solid foundation in mathematics and statistical modeling. You should be able to solve complex bushiness problems via statistical models, machine-learning algorithms, etc. You should also be familiar with common machine learning frameworks and libraries such as Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
- Ability to handle large spatial-temporal datasets. You should be able to work with geospatial data, time series data, and other types of data that have spatial and temporal dimensions. You should also be able to apply appropriate methods and techniques to analyze and model such data.
- Good understanding of concepts related to supply/demand/marketing in agriculture. You should be familiar with publicly-available agricultural datasets such as USDA, FAO, etc. You should also have some knowledge of financial instruments and or commodity markets related to agriculture.
- Intellectually creative, willing to share knowledge, adaptive to new techniques. You should be able to generate novel and innovative ideas, collaborate with others, and learn from feedback. You should also be open to exploring new techniques and methods to improve your skills and results.
- Strong communication skills, critical thinking, attention to detail and business driven. You should be able to communicate your results and insights clearly and effectively to various audiences. You should also be able to think critically, pay attention to details, and focus on the business objectives and outcomes.
Additional InformationWhat We Offer
We provide a dynamic and stimulating international environment, which will stretch and develop your abilities and channel your skills and expertise with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental and vision care coverage, flexible spending account plans, employee assistance program, life insurance and disability coverage
- 401k with Company Match
- Family Friendly Benefits including childbirth and parental leave, fertility and family building benefits
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays
- Hybrid work available (not applicable to all roles)
LDC is driven by a set of shared values and high ethical standards, with diversity and inclusion being part of our DNA. LDC is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity, equity and inclusion.
LDC encourages diversity, supports local communities and environmental initiatives. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.Equal employment opportunity (EEO)
Louis Dreyfus Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.Sustainability
Sustainable value is at the heart of our purpose as a company.
We are passionate about creating fair and sustainable value, both for our business and for other value chain stakeholders: our people, our business partners, the communities we touch and the environment around us