Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Reviewed/reviewed.com, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a Data Engineer to join its growing Business Intelligence team.
The right candidate will have a unique opportunity to design our BI data infrastructure from scratch. You can define the data model, architecture, and processes with few legacy decisions to work around. It’s truly a green field opportunity.
Our goal is to unify the data we need to fuel the continued growth of Reviewed, and as our Data Engineer you will be a key component of that success. We’re looking for someone with a passion for putting data to work in an efficient and impactful way.
The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of content and data initiatives.
Reviewed is based in Cambridge, MA, but this role can be remote (eastern time zone workday).
- Work closely with company and BI leadership to develop a data strategy based on Review’s business needs and objectives.
- Leverage that data strategy to develop a comprehensive data model.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Create and maintain Review’s optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a variety of data sources.
- Troubleshoot data discrepancies; resolve and articulate them.
- Work with our internal teams and external partners, to analyze and organize both structured and unstructured data.
- Partner with Review’s analysts to automate reporting to enable multiple audiences within Review’s organization.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, data science, engineering, MIS or related technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years working as a Data Engineer.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Experience with leading BI tools (e.g., Qlik, Data Studio, Looker, Tableau)
- You are creative, flexible, eager to learn, and able to work productively in a multi-project, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
- Experience working in BigQuery.
- Experience with digital advertising data (e.g., Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Ad Manager).
- Experience with affiliate marketing.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Office work takes place in an open floor plan office, with several smaller meeting rooms and test labs throughout the building. Regardless of whether you’re onsite or remote, you’ll be expected to be accessible to the team throughout the day via face-to-face communication (whether in-person or over video calls), email, phone, and Slack.
Buying stuff is easy. Buying the right thing is hard. That’s where we can help. Reviewed brings consumers the most trustworthy reviews available, written by our team of experts. We believe that tough, objective reviews are the best way to analyze products. We provide readers with insightful, practical, and entertaining stories that help them make informed decisions.
Reviewed is part of the USA TODAY Network, one of the largest news networks in the country, reaching over 150 million monthly unique visitors.