In this role you will:
The balance across these will vary across the different career levels with the main focus being towards the top of the list at Level 4, and bottom of the list at Level 6.
- Create impact whilst supporting strategic and operational decision-making.
- Design and implement credible analytical tools and Machine Learning approaches using best practice to generate reproducible work.
- Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Support customers and project teams to understand where data science can add new value.
- Work with Industry and Academia by partnering with them to ensure that the tasks we place remain on track, are of high quality and receive the benefit of internal expertise.
- Maintain an understanding of data science in the external environment by influencing and contributing to industry, academia, other government departments and international research collaboration initiatives.
- Inform across Government, including potentially briefing senior officials to ensure robust decision making within government.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in data science and actively contribute to capability development.
- Guide and direct the work of others, through technical leadership, to ensure delivery of high impact science and technology.
- Review approaches and outputs ensuring that outputs are technically robust, and follows legal and ethical requirements.
ResponsibilitiesWe are looking for someone who has some of the following:
- A strong focus on learning new skills and techniques in order to keep current and continue their own professional development.
- A passion to drive forward the adoption of novel techniques by others.
- Experience in, and enthusiasm for, undertaking programming and its application to Data Science or Artificial Intelligence (AI) problems.
- A motivation to apply critical thinking and problem solving in order to have a positive impact on the defence and security of the UK.
- Experience of bringing new insights through analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, through the application of statistical approaches.
- Experience of data engineering such as extracting, transforming and loading data through a pipeline.
- A talent for creating impactful visualisations.
- The ability to work collaboratively to deliver results.
- The ability to proactively form and manage relationships with a broad range of customers.
- Experience leading others, maintaining output focus and technical quality.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.Important Information
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
We will require successful applicants to undergo security checks which Dstl will organise. This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years. If you would like more information about this process please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team Dstrecruitment@dstl.gov.uk