Are you a data scientist who is excited about brain-computer interfaces (BCIs) that increase human agency? Are you a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and wants to tackle challenging engineering problems? Do you want to work with a world-class remote team while having a big impact on the machine-learning approach for an early-stage project?
We are looking for a Data Scientist who is interested in working with us at AE Studio on the future of neurotechnology!About AE Studio
AE Studio is a mid-sized startup from California. We have a team of highly skilled developers, designers, and data scientists building products that increase human agency. We use the most recent technologies to develop solutions for startups as well as large companies like Samsung and Berkshire Hathaway. We have an awesome work environment and a highly productive process.
One of AE Studio’s core missions is to develop brain-computer interface technologies that increase human agency. We are looking for someone with experience in data engineering, strong problem-solving skills, self-management skills, and enthusiasm to learn more about the intersection of data science and neuroscience.About The Role
You will work on building deep learning models for neural decoding (classification or regression models with neurodata input). You will first learn the details of a variety of brain recording technologies (experience with multimodal brain recordings is a plus!), and help discover what type of model architectures work consistently across data types and decoding tasks (experience with transfer learning is a plus!). You will collaborate with our international BCI team, in addition to outside academic and industry organizations, in a semi-autonomous research role as we work together to develop an operating system for BCI applications.You
Bonus Points For
- Have a master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g. neuroscience, electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics)
- Are fluent with Python and experienced with Jupyter notebooks
- Have experience in at least one of the following: neuroscience, BCI experimentation and neural signal processing
- Have experience with working with deep learning libraries such as tensorflow or pytorch
- Please include a link to your public code repository (e.g. GitHub) in your application
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g. neuroscience, electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics)
- Experience with Python software development and/or data engineering
- Experience using AWS infrastructure (EC2, S3, databases, IAM, etc)
- Experience with real-time systems
What do you get out of it??
- Opportunity to work on world-changing technology
- Collaborative & friendly remote work environment (we're all nice 🤗)
- Good pay 💰
- Reasonable & flexible work hours
- Yearly retreat bringing together our teams from across the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Equity
Working at AE means receiving equity in some of our client projects and in the Skunkworks projects we incubate. The equity granted is priced at a value of $0 when you receive it. If it were otherwise, you’d be forced to pay taxes. But to be clear, there are no free lunches, only the choice of who pays for your sandwich.
At AE, the equity you receive is not free to AE. We invest millions annually in Skunkworks projects - paying our employees to build technology for which no client pays a bill. We receive equity from certain clients, which means we accept less in terms of our billable rate. We then pass that equity on to our employees. Sure it’s priced at $0 on day 1 - a call option on a stock trading at $100 with a strike price of $100 is priced at $0 today for tax purposes, but you’d want to receive that option. If you received that option on a dozen stocks, you’d be fairly confident that some of them would be worth a lot more than $0.
Offering this equity (by investing in Skunkworks or offering clients a lower rate) comes out of AE’s margins. Theoretically, we should be lowering salaries to compensate. But we’re competitive on that front as well. Over the long-term, we believe AE employees who stick around are likely to fare extremely well monetarily (no legal promises). We think long-term. You should too when you choose your employer.We are looking to hire people who think long term
. People create exponentially more value here in their 3rd or 4th year
rather than their 1st or 2nd, and that only increases. The value you create leads to more equity issued every year, and you retain it while you remain at AE or at a Skunkworks co that spins out, in order to free up equity for others, which is how we afford to be generous with the equity.
- Disclaimer: If you leave AE on good terms, you can retain 20% of your equity if you continue to send leads our way, share our core values, etc. If you leave AE for your own AE-incubated Skunkworks project (or someone else’s), you retain 100% of your equity. Folks create exponentially more value here in their 3rd and 4th years than their 1st or 2nd - we want folks who think long-term like we do.