We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment,powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
_Since 1993, Pearson OPM partnerships have helped great institutions grow online. We’ve helped them launch their first online programs, progress from bachelor’s to master’s degree programs, or layer on new specialties for faster career progress. We help institutions serve high-demand areas such as nursing, counseling, speech pathology, business, IT, and cybersecurity. We work with individual schools, or across the entire university. We build partnerships based on revenue share, fee-for-service, or co-investment. Whatever form the relationship takes, we’re in it for the long term, to sustain success for_ _everyone_ _._
**At Pearson we value diversity and inclusion**
**We value the power of inclusive culture, so we embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do.**
**Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all employees are given the chance to reach their full potential.**
**Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the center of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.**
**To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce please click here** **The Power of Difference** at https://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
**Summary**Main responsibilities include:
analysis of data sets to determine suitability for model building; identify opportunities for operational enhancements; variable creation and selection; experimentation with algorithms; performance analysis and presentation for communication with internal use. The Data Scientist creates, tests and validates hypotheses for business problems. Able to work with subject matter experts in a business areas; has some knowledge of business strategy/execution. Identifies approaches to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of analytical models. Understands and prepares data for analysis by applying knowledge of data sources and how they are gathered, stored and retrieved as well as manipulating large volumes of data. Able to effectively use key analytics tools to design, develop and apply appropriate statistical and mathematical techniques to solve business problems as well as to create repeatable, automated processes. Familiar with several data and big data tools. Creates visual presentations of analytics results and sometimes translates quantitative insights for a non-technical audience. Works with target users to deploy analytics solution.
In addition to broad and deep data and analytics skills, the data scientist has strong business acumen, coupled with the ability to communicate findings to both business and IT leaders in a way that can influence how an organization approaches a business challenge. Incumbents also advise on and select the business problems that have the most value for the organization. Incumbents are typically not found within a functional area or tied to an individual project, but rather are experts who are able to address problems across the organization.
Uses applied analytics to enable data driven decisions by applying innovative analytic techniques and providing exploratory research and analysis.
- Work with stakeholders to elicit, analyze, specify, document, communicate and validate business analytics requirements including operational performance metrics and KPIs.
- Work with IT to identify, provision, and structure data from internal, transactional systems and external, third-party appended data sources to support business analytic discovery, visualization, modeling, and reporting/presentation.
- Help improve and streamline processes regarding data flow and data quality to improve business analytics accuracy, viability and value.
- Collaborate in the development of analytical insights and capabilities and ensure alignment of these capabilities to business intelligence strategies and roadmaps.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends using statistical techniques
- Lead design and support development of internal operational and external business partner KPI dashboards and analytical reports using visualization and reporting tools.
- Provide support for on-going analytical performance reports that drive operational decision-making and provide ad-hoc or special reports as dictated by business needs
- Aid in the development of best practices used in business metrics analysis.
- Act as a liaison on business analytics initiatives between cross-functional stakeholders; draft communications and provide initiative updates
- Support process improvement discussions with stakeholders informed by analytical insights
- Participate in business partner-facing presentations and meetings as needed
**Supervisory Responsibilities** :
- Bachelors of Science in Physics, Applied Math, Statistics, Engineering or related degree or equivalent experience. Graduate degree heavily preferred.
- Up to 2 years of experience in optimization/operations research projects, either academic or industrial
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills with real-life datasets, and be able to abstract mathematical models from real-life problems
- Strong coding skills in Python, R, or other scripting language with experience in delivering production-ready code. Strong knowledge of Google BigQuery.
- Fluency in SQL development.
- A solid understanding of statistics
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects to completion without guidance
- Strong communication skills
- Translates data and information into clear, professional reports and analyses that offer insightful interpretation
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.**Primary Location:
** US-RE-Remote**Work Locations:
** US-Remote Remote**Job:
** General Business Operations**Organization:
** North America**Employee Status:
** Regular Employee**Job Type:
** Day Job**Job Posting:
** Jun 25, 2020**Job Unposting:
** Full-time Regular**Req ID:
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.