Cherry Ventures is supporting our portfolio with this hire
Berlin based - m/f/d - full-time
What we do at Plato
Plato is building the digital backbone of the global trade economy. Starting with the $48T wholesale industry, we empower the modern wholesaler to connect their people and data in a single analytics and workflow hub. By leveraging data science and AI we automate workflows and combat labor shortage making SMB wholesalers competitive with large corporations.
🎯 Why we do what we do
The future of wholesale is data-driven. Unlike popular opinion, Industrial SMEs are ready to make the step to become more proactive in their processes but lack the technology to steer them to success. Our founders come from a wholesale family and gathered a rock star team of ex-Big Tech, VC and top tier consulting companies to reshape the operations of this $48tn industry. Our initial product leverages cutting-edge data science to provide customized demand forecasts and product recommendations combined with intelligent workflow automation.
We are about to create category-defining software. Our primary customers are C-suite executives within large-scale wholesale and distribution businesses. We are committed to helping them enhance their decision-making processes and optimize their operations through the smart use of their data - bringing their operations into the 21st century! But don’t just hear it from us! We are supported by a list of top-tier EU & US VCs, advisors, and angels providing insights from some of the best SME tech companies such as Miro, Celonis, Personio, Workday, Forto and Microsoft.
🔮 What we’re looking for
At Plato we are building a real-time data platform and as one of our team's founding members, you will lead the development of our data warehouse and the infrastructure for our suite of data products. Our clients data is central to everything we do at Plato and as such this role will involve close collaboration with our data science, product, design and engineering teams.
The ideal candidate is a natural problem-solver who is not afraid to get hands-on and take the initiative in implementing new ways in which we can ingest data from different source systems, transform this data into our unified schema and to deploy a system of cutting edge Machine Learning models.
This is an incredible opportunity to become an integral part of a high-growth startup with a groundbreaking product during its early stages.
🚀 What you’d be working on
- Carry out data modelling that powers real-time customer facing analytics and a portfolio of data products that are consumed in our app
- Design flexible schemas that store data from many different sources
- Develop and maintain data pipelines for machine learning algorithms and real-time dashboards
- Partner with data consumers across Plato to understand consumption patterns and design intuitive data models
- Write and deploy high-performance real-time transformations within our data warehouse
- Own and configure our data platform (Databricks)
- Collaborate with our product and engineering teams to build a data product that our end-users love.
🏅 What you bring along
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering; high-growth tech company experience is a plus
- You have experience building ETLs/ELTs, ideally in PySpark and Airflow.
- Experience in working with SQL, data warehouses (e.g. Databricks or Snowflake) and data transformation workflows (e.g. dbt)
- You have interest in data engineering practices and product knowledge, specifically in how to leverage the power of analytics to power customer facing applications
- You have a solid understanding of Software Engineering practices and Data Engineering principles. MLOps knowledge would be appreciated.
- Mentality: An experimental mindset with a launch fast and iterate mentality. A strong statistics/mathematics background is a plus
- It would be beneficial if you have previously built high performance real-time streaming infrastructure using Kafka
🛠️ The tools you will be using
- Data Modeling
- Databricks (Delta Lake)
🗒 Hiring Process
Step 1: Intro call (15 min.)
- Intro call with one of the founders to get to know each other and introduce Plato.
Step 2: Personal fit
- One personal interview with the other two founders, ideally in person.
Step 3: Technical fit
- One technical challenge (take-home exercise),
- followed by a call in which you present and elaborate on your take-home exercise.
Step 4: Reference checks
- Before sending the offer, we ask you to provide 2-3 contacts for us to do some reference checks.
Step 5: Offer
- Congratulations! We are convinced by your skills and personality and see a great fit! You will get an offer from us including an appropriate share package.
We are moving fast, and we also want to grow our team fast – that is why we are trying to conclude the whole process within a short time (2-4 weeks).
🖌️ Our way of working
- Office: We work from our beautiful and centrally-located Berlin office
- We believe working on-site is crucial in our stage to foster ideas and communication
- We are, however, open to remote work once a year to escape the Berlin winter
- Team: Regular team events and lunches
- Tech: Top of the range tech setup
- Package: Competitive comp and meaningful equity in rapidly growing startup.
🦄 You should join Plato if,
- you’d like to be part of a rocket ship backed by top-tier investors from day one,
- digitize an old economy with cutting-edge AI technology,
- while enjoying the adventurous and demanding road of venture building,
- in a team of motivated A-players who push hard to make this a reality.
🎯 Our Values
- We go the extra mile to leave a dent.
- Hustle: We work hard to make our vision become reality.
- Purpose: We are here to enjoy the ride and raise the bar.
- Resilience: We persevere during challenges and stay optimistic.
- We are drivers, not the passengers.
- Ownership: We are results-oriented and take end-to-end responsibility.
- Proactivity: We initiate new ideas and don’t stay idle.
- Velocity: We prioritise action over processes and processes over chaos.
- We are obsessed with our customer.
- Empathy: We care about our customers and prioritise their needs.
- Reliability: We underpromise and overdeliver on customer needs.
- Humility: We understand the problem before we seek solutions.
- We shoot for the moon no matter if we fail.
- Boldness: We dare to push the boundaries of what is possible.
- Agility: We think critically and quickly adjust to changing circumstances.
- Growth: We stay curious and learn from our mistakes.
- We count on everybody's voice.
- Respect: We act with empathy, encourage new ideas and keep a low ego.
- Transparency: We adopt an honest, direct yet polite communication style.
- Trust: We assume every team member acts with best intentions.