Senior Data Engineer - North American Integrated Analytics Team
The North American Integrated Analytics Team is looking for a Senior Data Engineer for their Toronto or New York office.
In keeping with our global position as an industry leader and innovator, Munich Re is driving transformative change in the life insurance industry through data science.
New York , United States
Munich Re sees the use of data as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured. Integrated Analytics (IA) leads this effort in the US and Canada for the North American Life business. The role of the Senior Data Engineer is to develop and deploy data intensive applications in support of
underwriting, audit, fraud detection and portfolio monitoring. The Senior Data Engineer will work to transform Munich Re into a data-driven organization.
- Participate and execute various projects in the fields of statistics, machine learning and deep learning. Collaborate with a team of data scientists and engineers.
- Adapt and customize machine learning and natural language processing to execute core data ingestion and transformation tasks: translations, validations, exception detection. Work with both commercial software solutions and open source software.
- Build data pipelines based on modern IT architectures (batch & streaming). Configure, extract/transform/load software and rules engines.
- Employ image recognition and natural language processing to capture data from unstructured data including image, text and handwriting.
- Redevelop Python or R based predictive models and applications as RESTful microservices using Python and Flask.
- Help establish CI/CD workflows and cloud deployment using Munich Re analytic architecture including Docker and the Azure Container Services.
- Advocate for software engineering best practices, perform code review, and facilitate collaboration.
- Carry out research on statistical, machine learning and deep learning methods and technologies that could offer potential competitive advantages.
- Network with already existing data-intensive units in the area of analysis and reporting, as well as with IT to form an analytics community.
- Collaborate with internal partners in Munich Chief Data Office to leverage capabilities in big data technology.
First and foremost, the successful candidate will demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through his/her energy, enthusiasm and initiative.
In addition, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering, equivalent field or substantial coursework in relevant disciplines.
- 3+ years of experience developing pipelines, software or analyzing large datasets.
- Experience with Python, Flask, SQL, Software Engineering, API or web service development, Hadoop and Distributed Computing.
- Experience with medical data preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms (ex. AWS, Microsoft Azure).
- Familiarity with big data technologies (ex. Apache Spark, Hadoop, etc), natural language processing and deep learning frameworks (ex. Tensorflow, Pytorch) is an asset but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, effectively interpreting modeling results, distilling actionable insights and presenting them to partners and clients.
- The ability to learn quickly and drive to make a difference.
- Thrive in a dynamic environment and successfully deliver on multiple assignments under deadlines.
Munich Re is one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies with approximately 40,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe. As an industry leader, we provide a unique opportunity to be part of a global success story. We offer our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which champions high performance, professional development, innovation and passion, and rewards top performers with a highly competitive total rewards package.