Cambridge UK, Gaithersburg, Gothenburg
Salary & Benefits Competitive
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be!
This means we’re opening up new ways to work, ground-breaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will support business insight through the manipulation and analysis of data using statistical, machine learning and / or AI methodologies. You will manipulate and prepare data (structured and unstructured) prior to analysis, the development of sophisticated modelling algorithms, the presentation of data to help impart insight as well as the ability to articulate the implication of such insight. As well as undertaking analytics activities, you will help to define and build data science enablers such as playbooks, algorithm libraries and enabling tools and components. You will support the development, training and mentoring of junior members of the team ensuring the delivery of high quality algorithms and input from the wider team. You will typically engage directly with analytics consumers, understanding the business problem, developing the appropriate analytics strategy and ensuring value creation from the insight by the business. A key part of this senior role will be the evangelization of Data Science and the Art of the Possible in this emerging field.
- Work with business stakeholders and R&I AI Researchers to deliver projects using the latest methods and modern engineering best practices
- Creation of business value by taking an analytical approach to business problems to derive insight and so advising business decision making.
- Collaborate with data engineering teams to support large scale data preparation, the development/optimization of analytics platforms and the modernisation of proven analytics methods
- Translate unstructured, sophisticated business problems into practical model and algorithm solution for Data Science enablement.
- Communicate the value and potential insight derived from the application of Data Science techniques to business consumers (Story Telling)
- Development of best practice and playbooks of Data Science algorithms and ensuring accurate use by more junior team members.
- Validation and assessment of analytics approaches and output of junior team to ensure quality
- Training and development / mentoring
- Visualisation and representation of data or analytics output so as to convey insight to business decision makers
- Partnering with relevant functions to industrialize analytics – Analytics Ops capability build to scale algorithm deployment across multiple functions/groups
- Innovating in Data Science – development of novel algorithms and approaches to support AZ decision making
- Preparation of data (internal, external, structured, unstructured) in order to make it ‘analytics ready’ including profiling, integrating, tokenization, cleaning, filtering.
- Collaborating across AZ Data community to develop standard methodology and cross functional opportunities re data to generate business value
- Ensure that all analytics activities undertaken have appropriate privacy and compliance authorization prior to initiation.
- Oversight of Analytics partnerships with 3rd parties, academic or outsourced partners, to ensure value and standard methodology.
- Developing, maintaining and applying ongoing knowledge and awareness in trends, standard methodology and innovation in Analytics & data science approaches to business, science and other real world problems.
Education and Experience
- Strong undergraduate degree in maths, science, computing; or equivalent industrial experience
- Solid career background in a data science role with practical examples of success in implementing data science
- Understanding of business processes and challenges, enabling proactive application to business opportunities
You will hold a post-graduate degree in advanced analytics/computing, maths, science
Experience with biological / health / chemical data a bonus
The role holder will possess a blend of computational science skills, mathematical expertise, relevant demonstrated ability and business leadership skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Open Date 21/01/2021
Closing Date 26/02/2021