Who we are:
W.B. Mason, an American owned and operated company since 1898, delivers workplace essentials to keep businesses running. Originally built on Office Supplies, the company has rapidly grown to become the third largest privately held company in Massachusetts, with a product offering that spans Janitorial, Food Service, Packaging, Breakroom Supplies, Furniture, and everything in between. W.B. Mason is delivering tens-of-thousands of orders each day to businesses throughout New England and the Eastern United States in their iconic red and yellow trucks, adorned with an image of our founder William Betts Mason himself.
The company has been undergoing a top-down digital transformation including large investments in data, technology, and digital marketing. Our e-commerce site, wbmason.com, currently offers over 100,000 items in hundreds of categories and processes well over a billion dollars in online sales every year. We are looking for talented people with backgrounds in data and marketing to help fuel continued growth.
Marketing Data Analyst Summary:
The Analytics team at W.B. Mason has a broad mandate to deliver business critical analyses and insights to the Marketing (Email, Search, Social), Merchandising, and Executive teams. In addition, Analytics is often called upon to provide reporting to our vendor and manufacturing partners.
A successful Marketing Data Analyst at W.B. Mason continually seeks an in-depth understanding of our business and customer behavior complexities. They are in a unique position to influence the direction of our business and directly impact company sales and profit. They are able to roll-up their sleeves and work both collaboratively and individually to produce analyses that make a difference for the business. They will be passionate about their work, detail-oriented, analytical, and have excellent problem-solving abilities. On a daily basis, they will use Excel, SQL, Power BI, Adobe Analytics, SuperMetrics, and other tools to build scalable reports that highlight customer behavior and sales; thus, empowering key stakeholders with data to drive decisions and initiatives forward. In this role, the candidate will need to work collaboratively to effectively solve problems, implement new reporting solutions, and deliver successfully against high standards. They will have excellent business acumen and communication skills in order to work with business leaders, to develop and define key business questions, work with teams to set up the right data structure and collect information, and design data models that answers these questions. If you are up for the challenge, we look forward to receiving your application!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Data Curation & Modeling
- Write SQL queries to prepare and curate data for further analysis
- Work closely with the Marketing and Merchandising teams to understand their needs for analysis and translate these into data and modelling requirements
- Manage large data sets - extract, transform and load large datasets ensuring data quality
- Develop and maintain large data models that aggregate marketing and customer behavior from multiple sources
- Report Creation & Automation
- Scope and develop reporting for the Marketing team and Executive LeadershipCreate dashboards using multiple platforms (Adobe Analytics, Power BI, etc.) to fulfill company needs
- Automate repetitive processes and reports to improve the marketing teams’ productivity and efficiency
- Carefully select visual aids that enable your data to tell a clear insightful story
- Generate reports and dashboards for internal and external ad hoc reporting
- Benchmarking & Tracking Progress
- Select KPIs for projects and determine benchmarks that indicate success
- Track progress toward benchmarks and assist with analysis to accomplish goals
- Analyze Marketing Channels
- Work closely with CRM and performance marketing teams to track and evaluate successes and areas to optimize across our email, paid, and organic promotions and activities
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Facilitate marketing strategy and decision making with data-driven insights from reporting
- Present key metrics and analysis to support data driven decision making
- Suggest optimization strategies to achieve success
- Educate coworkers on available data sources and how to leverage them to solve business problems
- Other projects as assigned by Supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technologically Adept - You have demonstrated an ability to both learn and use programming languages (SQL) and data visualization software
- Analytical – You are naturally drawn to numbers and have an ability to parse complex issues, which allows you to evaluate data and provide insight
- Learning Mindset - You are curious about details, comfortable asking questions to gain understanding, are an ambitious learner and are adept at staying ahead of the curve on relevant industry, company, product or technical knowledge
- Curious & Inquisitive – You constantly ask tough questions in your pursuit of knowledge that will inform your future analysis
- Master Communicator - Excellent written/verbal communication allow you to get your point across regarding complex problems and data analysis in a clear and concise manner
- Critical Thinker - You spend your time and the time of others on what's important, quickly zero in on the critical few and put the trivial many aside and can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal
- Organized - You can marshal the resources you need to get things done, simultaneously manage multiple priorities and/or projects and deliver key milestones on time
- Collaborative - You must be able to work cross-functionally, have the ability to forge strong bonds and work collaboratively with key external and internal partners across Marketing and IT
- Adaptable - Flexible and efficient with the ability to manage multiple priorities and assess and adjust quickly to the changing need of the business
- Personable - You are positive, energetic and exude a strong sense of teamwork by working effectively, respectfully and efficiently with all team members. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way
Education and/or Experience
- Must Haves
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred Areas of Study include Math, Business Intelligence, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Data Analytics or other Quantitative disciplines
- 1-2 years of analytical or digital marketing experience via full time employment or internships
- Proficiency in Excel and Microsoft Office Suite required
- Experience with SQL (both writing and reading queries)
- Experience with click-stream web analytics services (Adobe Analytics & Google Analytics)
- Experience with SEM platforms (Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Bing Ads)
- Experience with R or Python
- Experience with Power BI (or similar data visualization and modeling software)
- Experience with SuperMetrics
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, speak and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers for data entry and telephone use. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer
W.B. Mason Company, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.