What you'll do...
- Develop custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
- Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- A Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop custom models and algorithms to drive business solutions. Data Scientists work on project teams in order to provide analytical support to projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) for Walmart eCommerce. Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project.
- Work with cross-functional partners across the business.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine needed improvements.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
- MS or BS + 2 years of work experience in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Statistics, Operational Research or related quantitative fields
- Hands-on experience in predictive modeling, quantitative analysis and statistical techniques
- Proficient with at least one modern compiled programming language (Java, C++ etc.) and one scripting language (like Python, scikit learn, tensorflow, etc.)
- Experience with big data technology (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.) and data processing pipeline
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms is desirable.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and 3
years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2- Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology, or related field and 1 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3 - 5 years' experience in an analytics or
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master’s degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Doctorate, Masters: Artificial Intelligence
600 WEST CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-2486, United States of America