The Senior Data Scientist independently develops statistical models that will enable future growth and profitability for our book of business through appropriate pricing and underwriting of risk. He/she is responsible for the formulation of statistical models and direct application of models to address insurance business issues.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Produces complex predictive models which enable the creation of rating plans and evaluation of risk and profitability.
- Develops studies that evaluate new business models for customer retention and growth initiatives as well as estimate the lifetime value of customer segments.
- Identifies drivers of insurance costs, understanding the economics of customers’ behavior and estimating the expected losses for segments of risks using advanced statistical and analytical techniques on large data sets.
- Develop or participate in the development of the overall analytical framework to support the company’s strategy for growth
- Communicates analysis, strategy and recommendations to diverse audiences, including technical and non-technical.
- Collaborates with upper management to assess the potential effects of proposed solutions and incorporates these considerations into recommendations.
- Manages projects of high complexity.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Advanced skills and training in predictive modeling, data mining and other quantitative and research analytics (Non-Linear Regression Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Bayesian Methods, Generalized Linear Models, Decision Trees, Non Parametric estimations, etc.).
- Ability to apply various predictive modeling techniques to develop solutions to various real-world problems.
- Hands-on experience developing and delivering structured, methodology projects.
- Exceptional programming ability in SAS, SQL, R or other programming languages.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- In-depth understanding of database principles and experience working with large databases.
- Ability to influence and guide across departmental boundaries.
Qualifications and Education
- 3 or more years of experience developing and implementing multivariate predictive models using GLM and other statistical methods. PhD in economics, statistics, or related field required.
- Or in the alternative, a Master’s degree in Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, or a related field (foreign educational equivalent accepted) and five (5) years of experience as indicated above.
- High level of organizational and project management experience handling multiple projects simultaneously.
About the Company
The Plymouth Rock Company and its affiliated group of companies write and manage over $1.4 billion in personal and commercial auto and homeowner’s insurance throughout the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, where we have built an unparalleled reputation for service. We continuously invest in technology, our employees thrive in our empowering environment, and our customers are among the most loyal in the industry. The Plymouth Rock group of companies employs more than 1,800 people and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation holds an A.M. Best rating of “A-/Excellent”.