Referred applicants should not apply directly to this role.
All referred applicants must first be submitted through Workday by a current Loblaw Colleague.
Come make your difference in communities across Canada, where authenticity, trust and making connections is valued – as we shape the future of Canadian retail, together. Our unique position as one of the country's largest employers, coupled with our commitment to positively impact the lives of all Canadians, provides our colleagues a range of opportunities and experiences to help Canadians Live Life Well®.
At Loblaw Companies Limited, we succeed through collaboration and commitment and set a high bar for ourselves and those around us. Whether you are just starting your career, re-entering the workforce, or looking for a new job, this is where you belong.
Join Advanced powered by Loblaw as a Senior Data Engineer to spearhead our efforts in building robust, efficient, and scalable data solutions. In this role, you will focus on harnessing the power of Spark and Scala to elevate our data infrastructure. You will play a critical role in developing and maintaining complex data pipelines, ensuring the smooth flow of data across various applications within our digital marketing platform.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, build, and maintain batch and real-time data pipelines using Apache Spark and Scala, optimizing for performance and scalability.
- Develop and manage an API gateway to seamlessly integrate our data platform with various applications and data consumers.
- Create comprehensive end-to-end processes for data ingestion, transformation, wrangling, cleansing, and delivery, leveraging Spark and Scala for efficient data processing.
- Continuously explore opportunities for optimization and redesign of our existing data pipelines and infrastructure, focusing on Spark and Scala for enhanced data handling capabilities.
- Construct and maintain a detailed repository of metadata and lineage, ensuring transparency and traceability of data lifecycle within the Loblaw Media ecosystem.
- Address data-related technical issues, conducting root-cause analysis, and implementing solutions to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Contribute to the development and documentation of data management standards and frameworks, with a focus on Spark and Scala best practices.
What You’ll Bring:
- A University degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in software engineering with a strong focus on data, including expertise in Apache Spark and Scala.
- Proven track record of working with cloud data platforms technologies such as Google Cloud Platform (Dataflow, BigQuery) and Azure Databricks.
- Proficiency in CI tools like GitLab/Jenkins for building CI/CD pipelines.
- Solid experience with relational databases (e.g., Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server) and big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Hive).
- Excellent analytical, multitasking, and problem-solving skills, capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
Our commitment to Sustainability and Social Impact is an essential part of the way we do business, and we focus our attention on areas where we can have the greatest impact. Our approach to sustainability and social impact is based on three pillars – Environment, Sourcing and Community – and we are constantly looking for ways to demonstrate leadership in these important areas. Our CORE Values – Care, Ownership, Respect and Excellence – guide all our decision-making and come to life through our Blue Culture. We offer our colleagues progressive careers, comprehensive training, flexibility, and other competitive benefits – these are some of the many reasons why we are one of Canada’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers & Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
We have a long-standing focus on diversity, equity and inclusion because we know it will make our company a better place to work and shop. We are committed to creating accessible environments for our colleagues, candidates and customers. Requests for accommodation due to a disability (which may be visible or invisible, temporary or permanent) can be made at any stage of application and employment. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so that we can provide equitable opportunities.Please Note
Candidates who are 18 years or older are required to complete a criminal background check. Details will be provided through the application process.