Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
The Shake Shack IT team is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Data Engineer to join our team. As a Data Engineer, you will be working with our growing team to help architect, update, and maintain the data warehouse and reporting systems we use to make key business decisions. Our ideal candidate is someone that is always learning and improving as the business grows and the relevant technologies continue to evolve. If you enjoy innovating and thinking big, and want to contribute directly to the success of the business, you may be a prime candidate for this position.
The Data Engineer should be familiar with all of the data warehousing technical components (e.g. ETL, Datawarehoue, Data Model), infrastructure (e.g. hardware and software) and their integration. The ideal candidate will be responsible for assisting in architecture and high-level designs. The candidate must have experience with best practice Star Schemas, Dimensional Models, and Datawarehouse principles. The individual is expected to build efficient, flexible, extensible, and scalable ETL mappings and pipelines as well as ensure daily operations of those jobs. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as the candidate will work very closely with other teams.
The Data Engineer will also be responsible for the monitoring of on-prem and cloud database performance, database testing, security access and permissions, and documentation.
- Play an integral part in creating and refining our data warehouse
- Assist in documenting architecture design and implementation of next generation cloud BI solutions
- Build scalable data pipelines that collect, transform, load and curate data from various internal and external data sources
- Work with ETL/ELT tools to sync data to/from multiple sources
- Assist with maintaining existing Datawarehouse operations – troubleshooting errors and restoring business critical data processes
- Collaborate with the various teams to build datasets used in various visualization tools
- Improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes by automating or simplifying self-service support for business constituents
- Support, maintain, optimize, upgrade and enhance our current and future state Data Infrastructure (SQL server, AWS, Snowflake, Tableau, Alteryx)
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative/technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering)
- 4+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence or business analytics
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets
- 4+ years of experience in scripting languages like Python etc.
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and Data warehousing
- Experience with AWS services including S3, Redshift, EMR, EC2 and RDS
- Experience with cloud Data Warehouses such as Snowflake are a plus
- Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.)
- Experience in working and delivering end-to-end projects independently
- Experience with the administration of enterprise SQL data warehouses and databases
- Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we Stand for Something Good.
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.