Each day, the lives of more than 2 billion people across the globe are impacted by chronic diseases. Moreover, the economic burden on society of treating chronic disease is spinning out of control. Today, this dire situation appears unlikely to change as >95% of global healthcare costs are spent on treating rather than preventing chronic diseases. FL84, Inc. is a privately held early-stage company that is applying advanced biological and computational platforms to discover breakthroughs in detection of and intervention against the etiologies that drive progression from health to disease. Our goal is to leverage our proprietary platforms to disrupt the current approach of treating chronic disease too late. We endeavor to provide true health care rather than sick care to individuals that are at risk of progressing to disease.
FL84 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise dedicated to originating and developing first-in-category life sciences companies. Since Flagship's founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship-founded companies include Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, Seres Therapeutics, Evelo Biosciences, and Indigo Agriculture.
We are seeking an individual who is enthusiastic about developing, learning and applying computational skills to understand complex clinical trajectories from healthy to disease. The role will include significant hands-on analyses of clinical data such as electronic health records, insurance claims, laboratory measurements, images, and genetic data. The candidate will work closely with the computational biology team to develop insights and novel prediction platforms for different stages of the journey from health to disease. An ideal candidate will pride themselves on their ability to craft scientifically logical stories out of complex data and convert them into executable experiments. The position will provide a unique opportunity to play a foundational role in the development of FL84's preclinical platform.
- Work with FL84 team to develop and apply novel ML models on clinical data (EHR, insurance claims, labs, imaging, narrative notes, etc.)
- Develop prediction algorithms to detect with reasonably high success individuals before major changes in their health
- Ideate on how to align time-series biological data with clinically relevant inflection points identified in electronic health records, clinical trials, or other sources
- Identify and explore internal and external clinical datasets to address questions critical to FL84's core objectives and generate testable hypotheses
- Develop clear, intuitive visualizations and communicate analysis results via presentations to a multi-disciplinary audience
- Cultivate a data-centric and process-oriented company philosophy by helping to maintain best practices for software development, data management, and infrastructure
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies and models and identify opportunities for collaboration within Flagship Pioneering companies, academia, and third parties
- PhD with 5+ years of experience or equivalent level of experience in applying machine learning/artificial intelligence to large-scale clinical data. PhD may be in Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, or similar technical fields
- Demonstrated experience applying deep learning models to electronic health record or administrative claims data
- Contributions to analyses leveraging both clinical and genomic data
- Fluency in Python and experience with R and SQL
- Familiarity with AWS, GCP, or similar cloud-computing services
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment
- Experience in one or more of the following areas/topics: regression models, regularization, recurrent neural networks, graph neural networks, LSTMs, or CNNs
- Experience working with reference genetic and other biological databases and datasets (e.g., UK Biobank, TCGA, CMAP, LINCS) is a strong plus
- Experience running genome wide association studies (GWAS)
- Ability to Google error messages and seek resolution from self-investigation
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, FSP) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering's internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.