Cognitive Data Scientist
U.S. citizenship is required for this position due to Department of Defense restrictions.
The Data Scientist will identify, architect, design, and present new data management and advanced analytics opportunities for WPS that delivers enhanced business value and operational agility. Through proof-of-concepts, demonstrate emerging analytical capabilities that align with business goals and budgets and integrate within WPS service-oriented architecture. Evangelize and mainstream production ready solutions to WPS business units to solve complex business problems.
In this role you will:
- Gather and interpret multi-dimensional data to identify key features and suggest potential hyperparameters among several models or distributions.
- Design and develop models of low to intermediate complexity in R and Python.
- Visualize complex data sets for analysis of high-value machine learning targets to aid in selection for development.
- Provide model feature context to machine learning engineers throughout development of cognitive solutions, including ongoing business facilitation and discussion around KPIs and metrics.
- Analyze complex data structures and business feedback to form detailed machine learning hypotheses for potential implementation, including quantified and measurable business impact statements.
- Provide structured and balanced training data sets based on hypotheses from a variety of sources, working with machine learning engineers to rapidly iterate and evaluate training results for further training set refinement.
- Coordinate with machine learning engineers to schedule and build production training sets based on observed and quantified model degradation.
- Specify data mining protocols to desktop robotics engineers in order to assemble structured data where availability is low.
- Advise and consult information architecture professionals as a consumer of next-generation data systems.
This role could be a good fit if you:
- Drive advanced analytical innovation by removing technical and cultural barriers to innovation process.
- Enjoy providing guidance into overall strategy and statistical methodologies used to solve complex business problems.
- Are proficient in generating advanced methods of visualization of data to allow clearer communication, viewer engagement and improved decision-making.
- Develop and perform preliminary exploratory analysis on large, complex, and diverse datasets.
- Are responsible with data acquisition, translation, and validation from multiple sources.
- Are comfortable with manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high dimensionality data from multiple sources.
You’ll benefit from this experience by:
- Working in an environment that serves our Nation’s military, veterans, Guard and Reserves along with their families.
- Collaborating with Enterprise Technology innovation team members to identify and deliver advanced analytical capabilities to WPS business units.
- Developing strategies and methodologies to validate model performance following implementation.
- Evangelizing and mainstreaming advanced analytical solutions to internal customers.
- Staying current on new and emerging data management and analytical technologies.
- Maintaining a strong understanding of statistical analysis, predictive modeling, programming, and data visualization.
You need to have:
- U.S. citizenship is required for this position due to Department of Defense restrictions.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field or equivalent post high school and/or related work experience.
- 1 or more years of related work experience
We also prefer:
- Master’s degree In the STEM arena.
- 3 or more years of progressive technology experience within data management and analytics domains, to include.
- 2 or more years of advanced analytics experience performing data analysis and predictive modeling OR a combination of relevant experience and demonstrated ability to meet.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, clustering, distribution, hypothesis testing etc.).
- Proficiency in programming in analytical tools such as R, Python, Stata or similar
- Experience in extracting, cleaning, and restructuring large datasets.
- Experience in creating meaningful data visualizations from disparate sources using PowerBI, Spotfire, Tableau or similar.
- Advanced degree in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or other quantitative field preferred.
The Data Platform Modernization team exists to break down barriers between our employees and the data that connects us to our mission. As a part of the Emerging Technology and Innovation group, you will be dedicated to developing and scaling proven disruptive technologies into WPS architecture to drive digital maturity in alignment with SSG’s core mission as the “agent of change”.
Compensation and Benefits
- Eligible for annual Performance Bonus Program
- 401(k) with dollar-per-dollar match up to 6% of salary
- Competitive paid time off
- Health and dental insurance start DAY 1
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending, dependent care, and health savings accounts
- Short- and long-term disability, group life insurance
- Dress for your day
- Innovative professional and cognitive development programs
Who We Are
WPS Health Solutions is an innovator in health insurance and a worldwide leader in claims administration, serving millions of beneficiaries in the United States and abroad.
Founded in 1946, WPS offers health insurance plans for individuals, families, and seniors, and group plans for small and large businesses. We are a world-class claims processor and program administrator for the government’s Medicare program. And we manage benefits for millions of active-duty and retired military personnel and their families.
WPS has been named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere® Institute for 10 years in a row.
Learn more about WPS.
Our Purpose and Values
Our purpose is to make healthcare easier for those we serve. Click Here
Our values – Customer Focused, Individual Responsibility, Mutual Respect, and Driven & Passionate – are the core of who we are and how we conduct business every day.
WPS Health Insurance offers high-quality health insurance plans for individuals and families, Medicare supplement plans for seniors, and group health plans for businesses of every size.
Military and Veterans Health
WPS Military and Veterans Health administers claims and provides customer service and related activities for the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their beneficiaries.
Government Health Administrators
WPS Government Health Administrators manages Medicare Part A and Part B benefits for more than 7 million beneficiaries. As one of the largest contractors for the Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services, we’ve served Medicare beneficiaries and their health care providers since 1966.
Arise Health Plan provides innovative and high-value health plans to groups and individuals in eastern and northeastern Wisconsin. With our quality Wisconsin-based customer service, Arise offers health care expertise with a personal touch.
EPIC Specialty Benefits
EPIC Specialty Benefits provides businesses group insurance products that cover:
- Voluntary benefits
Stay connected: Sign-up for Job Alerts