As a Data Scientist you will develop the capability and application of business knowledge, mathematics, technology, design thinking and behavioural sciences to enable better decision support solutions within the company's data services. You will address business problems that are well defined and shifting where factors affecting the problem are not completely understood. You will be expert in analysis, visualisation and algorithmic / mathematical computations that extract insights from data in response to these business problems, questioning and hypothesising using the data available from the customers, within the company and externally.
You will rapidly develop prototype applications that productionise the solutions identified so that they can deliver beta services to customers and work with other teams in order to transition these solutions into full service.
You will enable the on-going creation, translation and consumption of data-driven insights to help the company and their customers make better decisions - increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of the services that the company and their customers deliver.
In this role, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge and make a big impact. You will also demonstrate a strong entrepreneurial drive.
- In this role you will assess and develop future capabilities and technologies relevant for big data and predictive analytics. You will be working with state of the art tools, assess future trends, and develop services as demonstrators and beta service offerings for use in the near future.
- You will contribute to the development or implementation of applications that demonstrate and illustrate the impact of data science.
- You will lead solutions integrating machine learning with libraries of analytics and user experience to confirm the validity of insights.
- You will trial new approaches, new techniques, new technologies, and assess the impact of the latest technology trends.
- You will be instrumental in setting up and defining the capabilities needed to utilise business knowledge, mathematics, technology, design thinking and knowledge of behavioural sciences in our next generation data services.
Key Experience and Qualifications
- Degree level education in Mathematics, Scientific, Computing or Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience at various levels of Data Science roles and lead a small team of data scientists
- An ability to apply logical, analytical and innovative thinking on a range of technical problems, with a particular bias towards the application of existing analytical methods, the development of new methods development and software engineering.
- Particular experience with predicative analytics, advanced analytics and reinforced learning algorithms and other forms of machine learning is essential.
- Ability to interpret complex business requirements, translating them into analytical problems and delivering high value outputs.
- Experience in knowledge management solutions
- Experience in the use of one or more current analytical / big data technologies such as Python (including relevant libraries), Azure (Machine Learning, Stream Analytics, Data Factories etc), Spark, SQL, Tableau, Power BI is essential
- Experience of using Azure services including Databricks to build data science solution is essential
- Experienced in exploring and visualising data, being able to work with large data sets.
- Exposure to development of AI applications in fast paced agile projects
- Experience of working in tightly regulated industry is desirable
- Domain knowledge of airline flight operations is desirable.
- Proactive, persistent and customer focused with a high level of self-motivation, initiative, and able to stand-alone.
- Skilled communicator, able to engage with colleagues, customers and stakeholders and an ability to influence and negotiate compromise between different groups.
- Experience of working in an agile environment, within a self-organising team.