Chief Data Scientist
A leader in software solutions for client relationship management, compliance and fraud prevention, Tier1 Financial Solutions’ is passionate about helping accelerate our clients’ digital transformation initiatives with our CRM, AML and compliance solutions. Founded in 2007 and located in Toronto, Ottawa and New York, Tier1 today has over 150 employees and services over 200 clients globally, including the world’s largest financial institutions.
We’re looking for a Chief Data Scientist to join the compliance and fraud prevention division of Tier1. Operating under the Alessa brand, the compliance division is focused on creating comprehensive solutions to help financial institutions and many other organizations to comply with regulations and combat theft, fraud, money laundering and many other forms of financial crime. Every year billions of dollars are laundered internationally, supporting drug trafficking, smuggling, fraud, extortion and corruption, enabling organized crime to continue their criminal activities. Fighting financial crime using advanced data analytics is a cutting-edge space with Anti-Money Laundering software and advanced analytics being driven by some of the brightest minds in the industry.
In this newly created role, you will lead a team of Data Scientists in the design and development of fraud detection solutions for our clients.
- Design and develop fraud detection solutions using artificial intelligence tools and machine-learning models.
- Develop and execute on Tier1’s data science vision and strategy, ensuring alignment with short and long-term client and organizational goals.
- Hire and effectively lead a team of Data Scientists.
- Use statistics and machine learning to effectively extract relevant data including solving optimization problems, running data scenarios, and building prediction models.
- Provide customers with data insights and analytics to support data-driven decision making.
- Create visualization of data.
- Generate information and insight from data sets and identify trends and patterns.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and scientific method, ensuring the continuous improvement of analytical capabilities.
- Advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 5+ years progressive experience in data science, including 2+ years in a team lead and/or leadership role.
- Industry experience with and understanding of relevant AML/ Risk/ Compliance Operations within financial institutions.
- Proficient with multiple AI tools such as Python, Java, or R and machine learning frameworks like Spark, TensorFlow, or sciket-learn.
- Expert knowledge and experience in data science, analytical concepts, methods, and statistics.
- Curious nature with exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven abilities in data visualization and data preparation.
- Experience and solid understanding of statistics, statistical tests, and distributions.
- Inspiring leader who leads by example, coaching and mentoring their team to success.
- Previous experience building a team is a definite plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability and experience working cross-functionally at various levels.
- Ability to communicate complex data in a manner that is easy to understand.
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development & growth at Tier1CRM
- Health and dental benefits
- Dynamic, close-knit team
- Corporate discount for Goodlife Fitness
- Exciting social & fundraising events (departmental & company wide)
We also encourage can-do, collaboration, and possibility thinking that will enable you to take your career to the next level.
Tier1 Financial Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.