Caris Life Sciences is seeking a data scientist to expand, test, and validate a suite of molecular biomarkers aimed to improve the standard of care for patients undergoing treatment for cancer. This is a research role within the Caris signature development program and responsibilities will center on statistical or machine-learning derived predictions of phenotypic treatment response built from the genotypic data types available on Caris molecular sequencing platforms. A successful candidate will have the analytical, code-oriented mindset to create reproducible data science pipelines, and the communication skills to discuss the implications of the scientific results with our medical professionals.
- Work with disease experts to determine the cohort selection, model development, and validation steps that make up a project roadmap for a genetic signature.
- Iteratively develop statistical or machine-learned derived features sets built from Caris genetic sequencing data.
- Communicate the impact and interpretation of predicted clinical outcomes for the targeted disease type.
- Structure queries and organize codebases in a streamlined and reproducible manner.
- Compare novel signatures with baselines derived from the molecular health literature.
- Interface with data engineering and bioinformatics teams to understand the intricacies of underlying datasets.
- PhD in Mathematics, Data Science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Engineering, or related scientific field.
- Proficiency in at least one general-purpose programming language (Python, R, Java, C/C++). Python is preferred.
- Familiarity with Linux ecosystem, Git, and queries from SQL or related database families.
- Experience with common machine-learning Python libraries such as Sklearn, PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, etc.
- Ability to communicate quantifiable results through tables, figures, and plots.
- Conditions of Employment: Individuals must successfully complete pre-employment process, which includes criminal background check, drug screening, and reference verification.
- Experience with interpretation of clinical health records including Electronic Health Records, insurance claims data, or patient histories
- OR with bioinformatics pipeline development and genetic file types such as VCF, BAM, FASTQ
- OR with statistical genomics methods such as those used to perform a traditional GWAS.
- Good code documentation practices and experience with workflow management packages.
- Cloud programming experience, in particular under the AWS Sagemaker ecosystem.
- Will work at a computer most of the time, with some time spent collaborating with subject matter experts and business group leaders either in person or through remote conferencing.
- Visual acuity and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail.
- Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- All job specific, safety, and compliance training are assigned based on the job functions associated with this employee.
- Job may require after-hours response to emergency issues.
- This position may require periodic travel and some evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Caris Life Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.