For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!Job Description
It’s an exciting time to be a builder. Constant advances in technology are creating an exciting new world for those who understand the value of data. The role of a data engineer is a supporting one, but it is also an extremely vital one. As a data engineer, you’ll be handling the design and construction of scalable data management systems, ensuring that all systems meet client requirements. Being an integral part of a team, which is part of a 13-teams agile release train. You will create sense out of raw data measured from all kinds of user devices.As Data Engineer you will have the following key accountabilities:
Now that we've introduced you to the position of Data Engineer, what skills, qualifications and experience should you have?
- Design, construct, install, test, and maintain data management systems.
- Ensure that all systems meet the business/client requirements as well as industry practices.
- Create custom software components and analytics applications.
- Collaborate with members of your team on the project’s goals.
- Take ownership of technical implementations and architecture together with your team and in alignment with communities of practices.
- Communicate with data producers to align on data exchange formats and interfaces.
- Communicate with data consumers and stakeholders in order to help them fulfilling their needs to drive the business.
- Develop install/update disaster recovery procedures.
- Research new uses for existing data.
- Recommend different ways to constantly improve data reliability and quality.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software/computer engineering, or applied mathematics.
- You are experienced in a related field with real-world skills and testimonials from former employees.
- You bring curiosity to find new and unusual ways of how to solve data management issues.
- You already have experience with at least one cloud provider (GC, AWS, Azure).
- You have hands-on experience with at least one programming language and basic knowledge of either Scala or Java.
- You designed data crunching processes with Spark.
- You have a sound overview of the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Having used Airflow is a plus.
- You have experience with CI/CD and ideally also with infrastructure as code.
- You are following best practices in software engineering, like pair programming, testing, clean code, and agile software development frameworks.
- You are able to give and take open and constructive feedback.
- a permanent position with a competitive salary, flexible working conditions
- a good work-life balance, 30 days of vacation, and parent-friendly regulations
- hybrid working environment with a healthy mix of office and remote working
- opportunities to develop and grow using various learning avenues within or outside the company
We are an ethical and honest company that is wholly committed to its clients and employees. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace for all and are committed to equal opportunity in employment which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential. At GfK we work collaboratively with our colleagues but offer a flexible working approach, including dividing our time between office & remote working as well as the opportunity to flex our working hours around team core hours.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to get to know you!