The salary range for this position is CAD - / hour
Supporting the Vision, Values, Purpose and Commitments of Fraser Health including service delivery that is centered around patients/clients/residents and families:
The Senior Data Engineer provides senior consulting to Fraser Health executive within an assigned portfolio in the areas of data and data management, decision support and in corporate business areas which may include the development and implementation of application architecture. Leads enterprise-wide information systems projects; manages timelines and resources; provides leadership to team members and may facilitate change management strategies as part of the project. Coordinates the procurement and management of external services. Manages assigned staff. A Senior Data Engineer leads the team across our data strategy, analysis, data integration, and data management.
- Provides senior data engineering services to all disciplines and partners within an assigned portfolio by keeping abreast of the initiatives and issues within the business areas assigned and leading the business area through developing business cases, process reengineering initiatives, etc. Formulates project plans with the business areas and/or provides input into operational or strategic plans.
- Ensures that projects and initiatives are aligned with the Fraser Health's Strategic direction.
- Provides project leadership to a variety of large, complex projects including a number of diverse disciplines and/or affecting multiple partners; develops and manages project timelines; facilitates change management strategies; defines tasks; identifies, sources and manages resources such as contractors, staff or dollars; identifies and mitigates project related risks; provides guidance to team members.
- Ensures project closure by providing post-implementation evaluation; measuring key outcomes, assessing project related staff, ensuring customer satisfaction, obtaining project sign off, and documenting lessons learned.
- Provides leadership to staff assigned to lead small to medium scale projects by providing guidance on project requirements, budget management, or technical issues; receives updates from assigned team leaders on project status.
- Provides input into project budget development and, once approved, manages the budget dollars by approving required contractors, purchasing software and hardware. Monitors and reports on budget variances if necessary and discusses with project sponsor as required.
- Liaises and communicates with project sponsors and partners by monitoring and reporting on all phases of projects to ensure success and to increase overall quality of products implemented. Provides updates on project status and all aspects of the project as required.
- Manages assigned projects using standard documentation methodologies.
- Manages assigned staff by selecting, supervising, and evaluating staff; assigns, evaluates and monitors work assignments; disciplines staff as necessary and initiates terminations; assesses and recommends staffing requirements; orients staff; authorize leaves of absences and approves overtime as necessary.
- Champions data management methodologies and best practices through mentoring, coaching, and communicating with team members, business units and staff.
- Researches and analyzes market, technology, and industry trends and standards related to technologies for the purposes of collaboration in problem solving merging business needs with a focus on leveraging data. Provides recommendations on the use and evolution of applications and tools.
- Provides expert advice and consultation by performing or managing the research, analysis, and recommendations for proposed technology changes. Provides input into development and into the use of new technology for inclusion in the technology architecture. Provides consultation and advice to senior management on technology alternatives and solutions.
- Develops annual goals and objectives for the area of responsibility, in collaboration with the Manager, ensuring consistency with department plans and authority objectives and strategies.
- Responsible for collaborating with teams to advise, design, and implement the data infrastructure and systems to support the organization's data-driven initiatives.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining ETL pipelines, developing data models and supporting the creation of a hybrid cloud model.
- Applying performance tuning and optimization, perform bottleneck problems analysis, and technical troubleshooting.
- Participates in assigned Fraser Health, Provincial, and Federal committees; chairs and/or leads discussion as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in Health Information Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related study or equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Seven (7) years of related experience in a large complex organization. A good understanding of modern data platforms with proven experience in assembling large, complex sets of data that meets non-functional and functional business requirements using a variety of languages.
Demonstrates the leadership practices of the Fraser Health Leadership Framework of Clear, Caring and Courageous and creates the conditions for people to succeed.
- Ability to provide leadership to a variety of large project teams in an environment that constantly changes and that has fluctuating priorities.
- Advanced knowledge of information management, business processes, technologies and applications.
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture.
- Ability to translate business needs into application architecture requirements.
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the project management process and the systems development life cycle.
- Ability to be organized, goal-oriented, proactive, solution-oriented, pragmatic, and the ability to understand the long-term and short-term perspectives.
- Diplomatic negotiation skills and the ability to influence.
- Understanding of and the ability to manage the political climate of the organization.
- Ability to provide input into project budget development, manage assigned dollars and estimate financial impact of application architecture alternatives.
- Demonstrated decision making ability within complex and diverse issues.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.