About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking a Data Engineer. The smart use of data has always been vital to ensuring that the New Classrooms’ model delivers a personalized math program for each and every student. We combine multiple sources of data into a comprehensive model of whole-student learners, in order to better personalize the learning experience for students and improve outcomes for our partners.
The Production Technology team ensures that clean data, sound analytical approaches and valid statistical techniques are used to answer complex questions about our students, our program and the larger education landscape. The Data Engineer will help provide our teams with high quality, useful data, and will aid in analyzing that data and transforming it into information that informs organization and program strategy.
This position is a great opportunity for a candidate with strong technical data retrieval expertise and intellectual curiosity who is looking to leverage these skills and develop in the area of strategic application of data.
What You Will Do
- Develop and maintain a data pipeline to collect, organize, and process data from disparate sources.
- Use SQL and similar data programing languages to support the retrieval and structuring of analytic data sets as projects demand
- Perform light analyses from the data warehouse to support inference, prediction and recommendation of actionable insights.
- Perform data profiling and source to target mappings (while capturing ETL and business metadata) for populating dimensional models.
- Write and maintain documentation of ETL processes.
- Provide support for both new and existing applications while recommending best practices and guiding projects to implement new functionality.
- Collaborate in design reviews and code reviews to ensure data standards are met. Recommend and assist in the enforcement of new standards for data process requirements
- Stay abreast of contemporary technologies and theory regarding data management, data processing and ETL techniques. Communicate back to the team regularly on findings.
- Review solution requirements and architecture to guide technology selection, efficient resource application and effective integration to existing processes and technology.
- Support the team in presentations and data communication strategy.
What We Are Looking For
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Intermediate expertise in SQL.
- Proficiency in implementing best practices and principles for SQL optimization, ETL, data modeling, analytics, and data mining.
- Experience with Microsoft Business Intelligence technologies, including MS SQL server, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, and Pow.erBI.
- Experience designing and optimizing data warehouse objects, including schema and indexing strategies for facts and dimensions.
- Experience creating and managing Tabular Models using SSAS, including complex relationships, calculated tables and measures, hierarchies and KPIs.
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- Experience with container technologies and services architecture in an AWS environment
- Curiosity and passion about data, visualization and solving problems.
- Work independently as well as within a group on a task or a larger project.
- Nice to have - Nonprofit or Education sector experience.
Role Classification, Benefits & Location
This role is full-time and includes benefits such as medical, dental, and vision insurance, 37 paid days off per year (prorated for the period in which you work), paid parental leave, a professional development budget of $375 annually and a quarterly cell phone subsidy.
Commitment to Diversity
At New Classrooms we are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create and inspire better ways to give every student an educational foundation for lifelong success. In order to fully realize this mission we are dedicated to building a diverse pool of candidates including those from underrepresented backgrounds, and resolute in building an inclusive culture that supports and celebrates the diverse voices and perspectives of our employees.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.