The News Movement (TNM) is a new media business bringing together leading industry figures and young, passionate journalists to help reset how we tell “the news” in an era of declining trust and increasing misinformation. We know that many voices are missing from the present conversation - we want to change that. We are driven by our purpose - to help millions of people around the world be better informed. We will do that by solving the under-supply of trusted, objective, high-quality news and useful information on social media and other digital platforms.
We are particularly focused on serving younger audiences between 18 and 30 and believe that factual, unbiased journalism can be told in different and exciting ways via the channels that our audiences already enjoy. We want to explain the world and uncover the stories that matter.
The News Movement is looking for a Data Analyst to join our team who can deliver and identify patterns, trends, and actionable insights from audience research, social listening and social performance to help inform newsroom planning and channel-specific social strategies.
We’re also looking for someone who is curious in nature with a general interest in how social has an impact on news consumption and vice versa. This will be a key part of The News Movement’s growth plan.
This role will report to the Head of Audience who will be based in NY.
- Reveal actionable insights through integrated research and analytics projects, which may include social and traditional media monitoring and measurement software.
- Regularly report on overall channel performance and audience growth on a weekly basis.
- Manage quantitative and qualitative projects from initial meetings through to report delivery. Related tasks include but are not limited to:
- Research a certain topic or audience group through listening software (e.g. Sprinklr, BrandWatch) in a digestible format to arm journalists with the correct context before they pursue stories.
- Wrap up reporting with actionable insights to inform wider editorial and commercial strategy
- Identify communities to research and track, enabling TNM to discover emerging conversations that align with our key reporting pillars.
- Run experiments, build testing processes and reporting dashboards
- Work with teams to provide the right insights to help craft strategies for future reporting.
- Build both informal and structured measurement tests to continually evolve our storytelling across channels.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends and developments around marketing research, social media measurement and build them into approaches, methodologies and best practices.
- The ideal candidate must possess strong qualitative and quantitative skills to analyze large social data sets, extract a concise narrative around performance, and give actionable insights with recommendations.
- Previous experience building measurement tests as well as informal experimentation to inform newsroom strategies (e.g. story arc, storytelling format, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, mathematics, economics, or other relevant field &/or previous work experience in a marketing/communications role with a focus on research
- 4+ years of experience at a marketing/research/consulting firm with comfort in distilling insights from high volumes of data
- Must have a deep understanding of social media platforms and key performance indicators of organic social. Those platforms include but are not limited to: TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, reddit, Twitch, Discord.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A detail-oriented self starter who can thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong research, critical thinking, verbal/written presentation skills
- Team player who can work independently, across departments and across levels with a positive attitude
- Creative thinker who actively seeks to find insights beyond the obvious
- Proficiency in Excel & Google Suite are a must
- Nice to have: passion for quality journalism, familiarity pulling data through tools like Sprinklr and/or Brandwatch
Our growing newsrooms in New York and London are made up of the next generation of talented journalists who understand new forms of storytelling, sharing on social media and creating community conversations and action.
Co-founded by a team of highly experienced media executives, everything we produce at The News Movement is guided by our core principles:
- FACTS What is the truth? And where are the gaps in our understanding?
- CONTEXT What helps our audiences understand why an issue matters?
- OPINION What are the relevant points of view that create a richer picture?
- DEBATE How do we empower our audiences to become part of the conversation? How can communities solve any challenges?
- ACTION Content that explores the options and helps with onward journeys
At The News Movement we are creating a newsroom for the future - building a dynamic and diverse editorial team that will deliver quality journalism for the mobile generation.
We are rapidly growing in both the US and UK. From story selection to storytelling, we want to discover different ways of bringing people “the news”. Accurate and impartial, informative and engaging, surprising and entertaining, The News Movement will empower our audiences wherever they may be.
We are looking for people driven by our editorial purpose (great journalism matters) and a passion for the platforms our audiences use. On TikTok or Instagram, Twitter or YouTube, Reddit or Telegram, you’ll understand how to tell stories for each platform, and you’ll know what will cut through with audiences.
Our culture is vital. We are a team, we work together with a generous spirit of collaboration. Being able to listen to each other and think-through ideas is vital. Our audience is at the heart of what we do. We offer an empathetic and supportive environment where every voice matters and we recognise every business needs many different strengths and skills to be successful.