Are you an experienced Senior Data Engineer with a strong focus on building high-availability cloud-native data platforms? Do you thrive in a challenging environment and enjoy working on complex data solutions? We are seeking a talented Senior Data Engineer to join our dynamic team and help us drive innovation in the fields of Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Data Science, and Business Intelligence.
All our data services and platforms are hosted in AWS with a key focus on moving towards server-less technologies. We deploy our platforms and services, extensively using IaC technologies. We work in collaboration with Data Science, Data warehouse, and Product teams to build, deploy, and support highly scalable, cost-effective, and reliable data platforms and services.Key Areas Of Engagement
- You will be responsible for building, scaling, and managing highly available, scalable Data integration solutions and Data services.
- You will be part of the broader H&B Data & Analytics organization, working alongside the Data Warehousing, BI, Data Science, and Product Analytics teams.
- You will be a key part of the team that owns the Data Lake and will be responsible for governing, managing, and integrating various consumers and publishers into the data lake.
- You should have strong experience in server-less technologies, and you are expected to use that to build highly scalable data platforms.
- You will be building Data Services for both internal user cases and external stakeholders.
- You will be building Cloud native systems hosted in AWS.
- You will be working closely with the Data Science team to build Data Science platforms and applications.
- You will be building data platforms for supporting initiatives like Competitor Intelligence, Data Observability, and other such initiatives.
The data platform is a key pillar in our transformation journey to become the leading health and wellness retailer. We love cloud-native; we prefer building the right solutions over buying generic ones and we embrace automation, monitoring, and testing in all things' software, infrastructure, and data.Role And Responsibilities
- Consistently demonstrates the ability to design and deliver functional and quality software.
- Takes a nuanced view of standards and best practices within the team and consistently looks for opportunities to improve the overall capability ecosystem.
- You scrutinize code for scalability, and performance issues, adhere to software design principles, are open to alternative approaches, and respect others' autonomy.
- Self-driven - Able to drive projects to successful outcomes by collaborating with all stakeholders.
- Can operate at pace independently without constant oversight.
- Arrange and lead meetings to progress decisions.
- You can describe complex technical areas and practices to both technical and non-technical audiences in ways they can understand.
- You actively engage with the key stakeholders influencing your squad and those who are responsible for cross-cutting concerns, e.g. Infrastructure, PaaS, security, reliability, etc.
- You are active in learning new techniques and approaches which could support the projects you are working on.
- Able to elicit functional and non-functional requirements making sure they are compatible with the Tech and Data strategy.
- Develops into SME for a functional area and multiple small/medium scale capabilities. Takes operational responsibility.
- Writes test plans to ensure the robustness of cloud-native, high throughput, and scalable applications.
- Sets measurable goals, keeps stakeholders informed of progress, and consistently meets these goals.
- Can build and review engineering/architecture designs focusing on availability, scalability, visibility, and cost-effectiveness.
- Identifies software security issues in their solutions, and risks of handling sensitive data, and provides relevant solutions.
- Mentor new hires and junior members of the team.
- Strong Scala and/or Python professional development experience
- Strong experience with IaC technologies: Terraform, AWS Cloud Formation, AWS SAM
- Strong Cloud Computing: AWS, S3, Athena, Glue, Lambda, CloudFormation, Step Functions, Event Bridge, EMR, EKS, AWS Batch,
- RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift
- Expertise in delivering and maintaining Distributed computing.
- Expertise in using Docker, virtualisation, and containerization frameworks.
- Experience in building data services
- Messaging: Kafka, schema evolution and management, Kafka Connector, Kafka ecosystem, Kinesis
- Monitoring: Datadog
- Software Engineering Practices: TDD, CI, CD, GitLab CI
- SQL Scripting: Athena, Spark SQL
- RDBMS: Oracle, Postgres
- Professional experience in a comparable role
- This role is fully remote with occasional travel to our London hub.
- We offer a 10% performance incentive scheme for our tech teams.
- Learn from the best – at H&B you will have the opportunity to enhance and expand your skills and shape your career.
- We want you to produce your best, so we provide you with the best tech equipment.
- Stay healthy with a 25% discount on all product ranges to help you live well.
- We like to recognize and celebrate our people with our Colleague Recognition Scheme, so your hard work will not go unnoticed.
Holland & Barrett is one of the nation's most loved and trusted brands, known for offering quality health food, vitamins, and supplements all sold by highly trained and qualified advisors.
Bucking the current trend of high street retailers, we forecast significant growth and expansion plans in the coming years, with considerable investment going into all areas of the business. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do. Every day presents a different challenge, but every day is also filled with fun, teamwork, and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation.
Our culture respects equality, values diversity, and encourages individuality – because this allows our people to unlock their potential and be their best. We welcome everyone who shares our EPIC values regardless of background, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity, or sexual orientation.