Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Travelers Data Engineering team constructs pipelines that contextualize and provide easy access to data by the entire enterprise. As a Data Engineer, you will play a key role in growing and transforming our analytics landscape. In addition to your strong analytical mind, you will bring your inquisitive attitude and ability to translate stories found in data by leveraging a variety of data programming techniques. You will leverage your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data to support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and operationalize complex data solutions, correct problems, apply transformations, and recommending data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Design complex data solutions
- Perform analysis of complex sources to determine value and use and recommend data to include in analytical processes.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Collaborate within and across teams to support delivery and educate end users on complex data products/analytic environment.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for complex defects and incidents and correct as appropriate.
- Test data movement, transformation code, and data components.
In this position you will lead a team that designs, builds, and supports data solutions for our business partners – mentoring and building a team of data engineers which are focused on perform and transform initiatives and balancing among these initiatives based off business needs. This position will be focused leading, guiding, coaching the team along with and building relationships with the business partners to identify and deliver on business outcomes.
From job family description:
Lead development of analytic data products, including pilots and proof of concepts.
Execute data strategies with an understanding of enterprise architecture, consumption patterns, platforms and application infrastructure.
Manage the operationalizing and automating of all capabilities to ensure secure, supported and scalable solutions.
Present analysis and recommendations to help influence management decisions.
Guide and coach team members to accelerate career development.
Establish team processes and procedures.
Maintain relationships with partner teams to ensure needs are met and impacted areas plan work accordingly.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Four years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
Required: Understanding of and experience with transactional and reporting databases including the use of Structured Query Language; , strong collaboration skills; Ability to follow and influence technology architecture, design standards, development practices, continuous integration/continues deployment practices and incorporates assurance processes into technology solutions; demonstrated broad knowledge of the processes, procedures and systems used to accomplish team’s work and how team’s work contributes to functional success
Preferred: Cognos, Microstrategies, SQL Server Integration Studio (SSIS) or similar ETL tools, familiarity with Kanban/Agile practices, test driven development, knowledge of Finance, Accounting and/or Investment concepts, Agile concepts, AWS
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Eight years of related experience
- Highly proficient use of tools, techniques, and manipulation including Cloud platforms, programming languages, and a full understanding of modern software engineering practices.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- The ability to deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, deliver complete solutions but release them in small batches, and identify and negotiate important tradeoffs.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including understanding technical concepts necessary and industry trends, and possess in-depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on and some knowledge of adjacent systems.
- Strong problem solver who ensures systems are built with longevity and creates innovate ways to resolve issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work collaborate well with team members and business partners.
- Ability to lead team members and help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers. and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.