Data Scientist (hybrid)
Based in Chesapeake, VA, Dollar Tree, Inc. operates more than 16,000 stores across the 48 contiguous states and five Canadian provinces, supported by a coast-to-coast logistics network and more than 210,000 associates. With two iconic brands, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, and a history of opening hundreds of stores each year, the company has grown its store formats to serve customers in all types of geographic markets. Come help us grow!THE OPPORTUNITY
This role, which is part of the Real Estate Market Strategy team, is for an experienced data scientist who desires end to end ownership and accountability in developing analytics-based solutions that will create new avenues for profitable, efficient real estate decision making. The position will serve as a key player in growing our Dollar Tree and Family Dollar store base and analyzing our existing fleet of 16,000+ stores in North America by leading the analyses in support of Dollar Tree’s store growth and renovation objectives and developing and executing the strategic initiatives to support them. The Data Scientist will offer a modern and thoughtful approach to data analysis and bring strength in developing and operationalizing a data science/data analytics roadmap of compelling initiatives that accelerate the company’s growth agenda, advance Dollar Tree’s business objectives, and contribute to EBITDA and operating income improvements.Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Engage with variety of business stakeholders to apply knowledge of statistics, machine learning, and AI capabilities to identify growth areas, new and emerging opportunities for improvement, and to optimize real estate location analytics for both new and existing stores
- Execute full project life cycle through project planning, data collection, model prototyping and deployment, and measuring outcomes, with responsibilities encompassing stakeholder management and communication to cross-functional partners.
- Bring synergy between machine learning, AI, and retail real estate functions by understanding organization goals, strategies, current practices, and areas of opportunity. Recommend strategies by evaluating organization objectives, identifying problems, evaluating trends, and anticipating requirements.
- Develop and implement advanced analytics solutions (predictive, prescriptive models, machine learning algorithms, AI models) to support and optimize business outcomes. Specific models include, but are not limited to, sales projection models, cannibalization models, and profitability models.
- Develop various advanced analytical initiatives to support key strategic priorities, such as store growth and existing fleet optimization. Define objectives and key milestones to meet short and long-term needs of business stakeholders and oversee project management activities such as team communication, leadership updates, stakeholder management, and timelines.
- Develop and maintain relationships with wide range of stakeholders including business partners, IT, and other data analytic teams.
- Interact with stakeholders and management to share progress and to gain acceptance of machine learning and AI technology and resulting business solutions. Present and share highly complex information related to initiatives to both peers and executive level stakeholders in a clear and concise manner as to be meaningful to those that may not be familiar with data science.
- Stay up to date on new machine learning techniques and approaches to data science
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience in data science, AI, analytics, statistics, or related field
- Excellent written and oral communication and data presentation skills with ability to communicate technical concepts and solutions to business partners from various technical backgrounds, as well as stakeholders who are not necessarily familiar with data science.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong Data Science and Machine Learning Skills with a deep understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning techniques.
- Proficient in data science programming languages (Python and R) and experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Knowledgeable in AI governance principles and an understanding of ethical considerations to ensure responsible use of data and AI.
- Detail-oriented with excellent problem-solving skills and ability to translate business problems across disciplines into advanced analytic projects with measurable business value
- Passionate about data science and AI and committed to continuous learning, remaining up to date with the latest developments in the field, and continuously improving skills and knowledge
- Must be an independent thinker with the ability to work under minimal supervision and to thrive in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and tight deadlines.
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Retail experience
- Real Estate Site Selection experience
- Familiarity with Esri or other GIS software and spatial analytics
- Experience with Geospatial AI (GeoAI)
- Previous experience leading/supervising teams