GRADUATE DATA SCIENTIST/TECHNOLOGIST
Mining Plus are looking for a Graduate Data Scientist/Technologist to assist with research, innovation and technology activities across our global business on a 1-year fixed term contract. Previous mining experience is not required, however some prior knowledge and interest in the resources industry would be highly beneficial.
We here at Mining Plus think that Mining is Awesome! We have a passion for our great industry, the inspiring people within it and the amazing projects we get to work on. Our Vision is to develop a high-performance culture and be known as the best professional mining experts on the planet.
We are +100 full time expert mining professionals with 9 offices in 4 countries operating as One Team. Corporately we are a part of the Byrnecut Group who are specialist underground mining contractors employing more than 4,000 people globally.
Our customers range from services, exploration and mining companies on a global scale. Our core capability centres on Geology, Geotechnical Engineering and Mining Engineering, covering all hard rock mineral commodities across the project value chain which are enhanced by strategic alliances in other core disciplines.
The perfect scenario is for us to go from project conceptual stage (Define - Corporate), right through feasibility study work (Plan – Consulting) to project delivery (Operate – Contracting). We have a unique ability to integrate seamlessly with customer’s project teams to deliver results with the flexibility of working remotely or mobilising to site.
This role is focussed on research, innovation and technology and will include:
- Focus on digitalisation and automation innovation trends in the mining industry
- Data science projects with a focus on emerging Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning (ML) applications in the minerals industry
- Being a key interface with the emerging Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) sector
- Defining and maintaining a “living” METS Engagement Roadmap across the entire Mining Value Chain
- Prospecting and identifying collaboration opportunities
- Remaining up-to-date with emerging mining industry technology trends
- Populating and managing an internal knowledge base and communicating this knowledge base to the Mining Plus Global Team
- Assisting in building new capabilities around technology scoping, design, implementation, deployment and ongoing engagement
- Assisting with proposals, projects and technical studies
- Assisting with the weekly Innovation Showcase
- Interfacing with METS start-ups and incubators
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate the following character traits:
- Highly motivated and a self-starter to succeed in working autonomously
- Excellent communication skills and open to cold-calling and networking with a large variety of stakeholders
- Willingness to bring ideas and raise issues
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Abstract thinking, outside the box, as well as critical thinking and the ability to challenge the status quo
- Innovating for the future
- Pride in “getting it right the first time”