Vodacom is a Leading African Mobile communication company providing wider range of communication services including mobile voice, messaging, data and converged services to over 60 million customers. From our roots in South Africa, we have grown our mobile network business to include operations in Tanzania, DRC, Mozambique, Kenya, Ghana, Lesotho and now Ethiopia. The mobile networks cover a total population of approximately 200 million people. Through Vodacom Business Africa (VBA) we also offer business managed services to enterprises in over 40 countries across the continent. Vodafone is the majority shareholder of Vodacom and has a 65% share.
We’re at our best when we lead and over the past 20 years, as the Company that pioneered mobile in South Africa, Vodacom has achieved a remarkable list of firsts. We’re immensely proud to be a leader in our field and are 100% committed to continue trailblazing.
We employ individuals who are as passionate about customers as we are. We are truly Customer Obsessed, which means that we are passionate about exceeding customer expectations; work relentlessly to really understand the customer; look at decisions through the customer’s eyes and take personal accountability for the customer experience. We are looking for people with a passion for Machine Learning and Big Data.Your Responsibilities Will Include
The ideal candidate for this role will have
- Create Machine Learning and AI products that provide actionable business insight to Vodafone and its stakeholders.
- Developing predictive models with large and varied datasets, working with a community of colleagues across Advanced Analytics, technology, and data and customer functions
- Contributing to the wider community to enable Machine Learning and AI capability across Vodafone globally.
- Development of machine learning models for various areas of the business on the Big Data Platform
- Development of prototype code in e.g. PySpark for automated training and scoring of the machine learning models
- Machine Learning Model performance tracking and reporting using e.g. Qlik
- Uses data visualisation to engage audience in a compelling way, enabling effective storytelling
- Work with lead data scientist to deliver key packages of work to meet the needs of business customers
- Works in partnership with Big Data Engineering for data ingestion to support use cases
- Works in partnership with Big Data Production Data Engineering for model automation and productionising
- Deploy models in Containerized Environments using tools such as Docker and Kubernetees , allow for on-prem and on Cloud Deployment.
- Developing insightful dashboard to enable faster decision making
- Identifying new data sources and evaluate emerging technologies for data discovery usage.
- Mentoring young data scientists in the team
- Presenting the results to technical and non- technical audiences
Technical / Professional Qualifications:
Core competencies, knowledge, and experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in quantitative fields like Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science Engineering, Artificial Intelligence or related fields (essential)
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in Data Science
- Experiencing working with and managing a team of junior data scientists.
- Experience in data manipulation: use of structured data tools (e.g., SQL), and unstructured data platforms (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, NoSQL)
- Proficiency in at least one relevant programming language: Python, R
- Experience in major machine learning modelling libraries (e.g., H2O, scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow) and techniques (e.g. random forest, gradient boosting, k-means segmentation, multiple regression, factor analysis, time-series forecasting)
- Exposure to cloud native deployment of models and working with Containerised technologies such as Docker and Kurbernetees.
- Knowledge of MLOPS concepts and deployment of models through batch and real-time architectures. Use of Technology such as (MLFLOW and Apache Airflow)
- Familiarity with visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Qlik, D3, Apache Superset, Plotly)
- Exposure/interest in machine learning
- Professional and/or academic experience in Big Data analytics & deployment of models and algorithms to solve real-world problems (with deep statistical and machine learning modelling expertise)
- Experience manipulating and analysing large and complex datasets /
- Experience in visualisation, creating graphical static and interactive displays of data that clearly communicate insight (preferred)
- Good interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Analytical and expansive thinking with a strong desire to deliver and develop
Closing date for Applications: 23 November 2023
The base location for this role is,Vodacom Campus,Midrand.
The Company s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.
Vodacom is committed to an organisational culture that recognises, appreciates and values diversity & inclusion.