Homegate is the leading digital real estate classifieds platform in Switzerland, with more than 8 million visits per month and more than 100'000 properties currently on offer. Our mission is to empower Switzerland's decisions around real estate. We help people find their best place to live and support professional realtors in running their business efficiently and in a data-informed manner. Do you want to become a part of a company with a strong mission and an open-minded work culture?
In our exciting engineering teams we have gathered talents from more than 20 countries, English is our working language. We are in the middle of a reengineering journey, targeting an event-driven serverless architecture in the AWS cloud.
Tech Lead Data Engineer (f/m/d) 80-100%
The data platform team is on the journey of creating the core ecosystem for a self-service data platform. Our aim is to operationalize data and deliver a strong foundation for building customer facing data driven products. We are building a reliable data platform that provides the foundation and the tools necessary to enable Business and Product to make data driven decisions. The Lead Data Engineer will be part of the data unit that includes our Data Infrastructure, Business Intelligence and Data Science capabilities.
We are looking for a hands-on Lead Data Engineer to join our, currently small yet dynamic data team, grow the team and build a data platform that powers critical business decisions throughout the organization, informs the product strategy and serves the engineering teams to build data powered products being used by the end users. We are looking for a forward-thinking, structured problem solver, technical specialist and highly talented leader passionate about building reliable systems and getting the most out of the unique data we have. You will develop data solutions that the business and product teams can use easily with a high level of confidence and trust to drive their day-to-day decisions, product strategy and help out users to make the best decisions around real estate.
We are seeking a Lead Data Engineer to help us define and realize our vision for trustworthy data across the company. This is a unique opportunity to shape Data Engineering early in its lifecycle. As the data domain specialist, you will be partnering with a cross-functional team consisting of product engineering, analytics team and data scientists across various initiatives. Requirements may be vague, but the iterations will be rapid and you need to take smart and calculated risks. Your everyday responsibilities includes:
- Develop and automate data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Homegate business growth and improve the product experience
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines
- Lead data engineering projects to ensure pipelines are reliable, efficient, testable and maintainable
- Design ingestion pipelines and define blueprints for the product engineering teams
- Design and Implement topics like data contracts, data discovery, data lineage, privacy and compliance
- Coach your team members as well as engineers across whole company to help them work autonomously with data
Who you are
You are passionate about technology, data and understand the power and value of the data to influence the future of companies like Homegate. You thrive on developing data products with your experience as a leader using modern data architecture, engineering practices and tools to process, store and expose consumer-scale datasets and build robust back-end services.
You are well-versed in data-driven and data-informed product development, and you are comfortable with the nuts and bolts of software engineering, data engineering and basic data science. You foster collaboration with engineering teams to build exciting data driven, customer facing products and are passionate about finding answers for real world problems, bringing business further and making the process of finding the next place to live easier and more fun.
You are an experienced leader with strong communication, coaching and mentoring skills, who shapes an inclusive environment where all points of view are welcomed and encourageIdeally you bring following skills and experience
Our new data platform is in its early stage and is powered by following tech stack
- Proven track record of building reliable data platforms on modern technology
- Experience with test automation, continuous delivery, ensuring high data quality across multiple datasets
- Experience in building anomaly detection checks and proactive monitoring of the quality of the data and KPI's
- Solid understanding and experience with microservices architecture and RESTful APIs
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong business sense with an understanding of business drivers and of how to drive value using data across the organization
- Exceptional communication skills and can translate technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for business partners
- Experience with data contracts to ensure data integrity and data security
- AWS platform and its Data Service Portfolio (CloudFormation, IAM, Lambda, SNS, SQS, ECS, S3, Glue, Kinesis Firehose)
- Snowflake with all its goodies as a foundation of the data platform
- Matillion for data transformation and data modelling
- Airflow and ECS for pipelines orchestration
- Python as the main programming language
- Flexible working hours and home office possibilities
- Personal development plan and yearly budget for educational courses, conferences etc.
- On-site canteen with plentiful selection of fresh food and healthy options
- Discounts in many surrounding shops and partner vendors like HP, Allianz, Sunrise, Starbucks, Shell and more
- Lots of team activities and regular hackathons
- Unique chance to be part of a culture and a platform that supports people's decision 'where to live best'
- Working with amazing and motivated people from the cutting edge technology and modern approach towards engineering
Please make sure that you have a valid work permit for either Switzerland or the EU.