The Relevance team at OLX Group is responsible for building algorithmic solutions to facilitate transactions between buyers and sellers. We are developing personalisation technologies and optimisation strategies that have a direct impact on OLX's users as well as the company's bottom line.
You will be encouraged to research state-of-the-art machine learning, in the areas of relevance, search, recommendations and personalization. Applying these methods to core OLX product platforms deployed in the cloud that are affecting the user experience for millions of visitors per month, rolling your solutions to production, analysing model results offline and online, and measuring site impact.
What you will be doing:
- Understanding product requirements, translate them into modeling tasks and engineering tasks
- Building machine learning models for search relevance, ranking and query understanding, personalization and recommendations
- Design controlled experiments to A/B test the features and perform deep analysis from the results to find actionable insights
- Using Spark and Presto to perform distributed data processing
- Measure the impact of your models against company goals
- Work in an agile environment to deliver high-quality software against schedules
- Interact with a global and cross-functional team (product manager, backend, system and ML engineers, analysts, data scientists)
What are we looking for:
- Someone excited by the chance to directly impact the daily experience and happiness of millions of people around the world by matching supply and demand
- A strong engineering background with a good knowledge of Python and Kotlin/Java/Scala, as well as engineering best practices.
- Experience writing SQL queries and handling large amounts of data
- Previous industry experience with relevance/ranking/recommendations/controlled experiments
- Proven ability to choose the right ML method to solve the problem within current constraints while having a clear vision of the next iterations and a good balance between exploration and exploitation of different techniques
- You should be based in Germany
Nice to have:
- Experience with search engines (Solr, Elasticsearch) and/or recommendation systems
- Experience with cloud based tools for production use (e.g., AWS EKS, AWS Athena, AWS Sagemaker, AWS Kinesis) or the GCP equivalents
- Experience setting monitoring (e.g. Grafana) and alert notifications (e.g. New Relic), using the established methods
- Experience building large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines
What we'll give you:
- A passionate and diverse team of data scientists spanning several tech hubs across the globe
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Annual Bonus plus benefits like Health and Life insurance
- A company committed to building an inclusive environment for all employees and create equal opportunities
- Great place to learn within fast-growing, global classifieds' platforms
- A healthy learning environment that takes your career at heart for both Individual Contributors or Managers
- Open selection of training e-courses including MyAcademy, Udemy and specialist AWS trainings
- Company Mobile phone, laptop of your choice: Laptop MacBook Pro, Windows or Linux, Notebook, PC, any tool you might need
What you'll need to know about us:
- Be part of the Prosus universe - the largest consumer internet company in Europe
- OLX Group is a global product and tech company with over 20 brands, +7500 people and one mindset.
- OLX is the world's leading classifieds platform in high-growth markets. It's available in more than 40 countries and in over 50 languages.
- Our mission is to make it super easy for people to buy and sell almost anything, boosting local economies.
- We are proud to be different, and we work differently too. We combine the spirit and agility of a start-up with the maturity that comes from being part of a 100 year-old company.
- We are curious, ambitious and allergic to corporate interference. We improvise, experiment and push each other further, embracing uncertainty and inspiring change.
If you are as excited as us about this position and our company, we hope you join us! If you'd like to learn more about us take a look around our careers page and the OLX Group website
Follow us on Linkedin. Check our OLX Group Engineering Blog and Twitter Tech.